News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ COmmand for Large Scale

Started by StanAmes, February 25, 2007, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

NMRA Recommended Practice 9.1.2 requires that a compatible booster be able to receive DCC information from a command station on a pair of wires.  It also allows for a compatible booster to send information back to the command station on a separate pair of wires.

The Bachmann E-Z Command booster meets the requirements in that it can receive DCC information.  As far as I know, it cannot send information back to the command station.  This is of no importance if you are using the E-Z Command command station which, as far as I know, cannot receive information from a booster.  A second pair of wires is not shown between the E-Z C command station and the booster in the DCC FAQ section, nor could I find any mention of them.

Lenz boosters have the ability to send information back to the command station.  As Pospete already has a Lenz command station which is equipped to receive that information, I believe it would be to his advantage to stick with Lenz boosters.  This will be particularly true if Pospete decides some time in the future to add a second booster, which is a good possibility in large scale.

This is in no way intended to disparage the E-Z Command booster.  Tests by Stan Ames and others have shown this to be a good, robust booster more than capable of doing its job and in most cases, I would have no reservations in recommending it.  Just not in this specific case.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.