Need Help with a New SANTA FE #32 Item No. 60002 (Running very very slow)

Started by Robertj668, December 31, 2009, 03:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Man My son must of been good he just a lot of (I got them on eBay from my the favorite spot)  It has kind of become a hobby of mine to see if i can win an auction at a super low price!  Any way to the problem.

We got this cute little DC Santa Fe Engine for time when the younger kids come over and want to run the trains. Well I tried to do the regular break in of the engine I did it initially on a DCC  (I have read the great advice on the articles that covered how to break in an engine) and initially I thought OK it is running slower because I am using DCC. SO I did it on DC and it still runs super slow. I took off the shell and noticed that the gears appeared to be well oiled.  However upon looking closer it looks like one of the gears is warped.  I should take a pic and show it. 

I am guessing that is what is causing the problem.  So if it is how did the gear get warped?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

jonathan

Robert,

If I understand correctly this loco is DCC equipped.  I'm assuming that since you first tested it in DCC mode.

The decoder in a DCC engine eats of couple of extra volts of power (even when running DC).  This will make the engine run naturally a little slower than the DC engines. 

I've never had a warped gear, but I would think that would cause a more jerky motion, rather than just slow running.  There would be a pulsating noise as well, I'm guessing.

Probably not very helpful... sorry.

Jonathan

Robertj668

Jonathan
The engine is DC and I think you are correct on the a warped gear would cause a jerking motion. This one I think I will exchange. If you were able to read the other post I am having problems with a DCC FT-A Unit too.  But I think that just needs some lubing.
Robert

Robertj668

UPDATE:
I took to my local Hobby shop and they exchanged it.
Robert

Thank you all for your help!