News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive Suggestions!

Started by Gunslinger87, March 24, 2008, 12:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

Please, no more models of anything MTH is doing...

The GS4 has been overdone, as have the K4 and the Big boy....

I'd be a fan for anything T&P-ish:

And of course, no T&P wish list would be complete without a 2-10-4...

They could make it in Freedom Train paint!

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Rashputin

Bachmann already has a 4-8-2 chassis, so with not much work they could and I think, should, make all those nice L2 series of engines NYC had.  You seldom see even the brass of the L2 engines, mostly L3 and L4.  Now someone has the brass L2 series coming for over $1200 each and you can't find anyone who hasn't already sold their entire allotment in advance.  Geez, it seems like a natural to do sunken feedwater heaters, feedwater heaters hanging on the smokebox front, different piping sets to make variations of the thing.  I just don't see how at least the L2d wouldn't sell well since it's got the higher drivers and the nice front end of a Hudson.

Maybe I overestimate the number of NYC fans there are, but I do know that the NYC brass usually sells out in a hurry just like the BLI Hudson keeps on selling right along.  I also think that the NYC and PRR 2-8-2 types would have steady sales over time, but since I haven't seen the 2-8-2 types they already make I don't know how much could be easily incorporated into a US type of Mike.

Regards

r.cprmier

Rash;
That "Hudson" by BLI is an excellent starting place for the whole series of NYC "J" series engines, the Milwaulkee "Baltic", the Boston and Albany Hudson, etc.  On that premise there would be a lot of interested people for the possibilities to renovate, redesign, etc.

The Old Reprobate
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Woody Elmore

I think you see the L-3 and L-4 Mohawk models because they were dual service engines so you can use them on the head end of a passenger train. I think the earlier L-2s were freight only. A friend had a Tenshodo Mohawk and it was a really nice model for its day.

Pacific Northern

USRA Pacific and/or USRA 2-8-2

Unfortunately, my request for the 4-6-2 will be too late as Athearn (Roundhouse) will be releasing the updated old Genesis 4-6-2 soon.

If the drivetrain has been updated as indicated on the site then I think this engine will be a big seller.

Both of the old Genesis 2-8-2 and 4-6-2 engines were extremely good looking engines.

If Athearn is re-releasing the 4-6-2 do you not think the 2-8-2 is not far behind?

I will most likely purchase a few of these if they are decent running locomotives.
Pacific Northern

Shay Fan

I agree with Peter Smith, a small Heisler would be nice.

Yampa Bob

I see a lot of MTH bashing.  Remember back in 2005, MTH defied Union Pacific's demand for royalties and ended up in a lawsuit, while other companies stood by doing nothing.  An agreement was reached, and UP discontinued the royalty requirement for all companies.  Such royalties would have had a huge affect on prices.

I don't have any MTH, but I certainly wouldn't discourage them, or any other manufacturer, from making something simply because I don't like it.

PN...I have several Roundhouse vintage locos, they are very smooth and quiet.  They do have traction tires and blind center drivers, but the power and traction is very impressive.  I hooked up a string of Overlands and it pulled with no effort at all.

I am quite pleased with them.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Steam Freak

I'd still like to have a little 36 Ton Two Truck Heisler:

Yampa Bob

Look at it this way, I'm guessing it takes 100,000 requests for a new item to become a reality.  If you can find 99,999 others that want it the factories might consider it. (in 2 or 3 years) :D

The Athearn 4-6-2 should be hitting the shelves soon as I see the dealers listing them.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 14, 2008, 11:50:47 AM
Look at it this way, I'm guessing it takes 100,000 requests for a new item to become a reality.  If you can find 99,999 others that want it the factories might consider it. (in 2 or 3 years) :D

The Athearn 4-6-2 should be hitting the shelves soon as I see the dealers listing them.

If the 4-6-2's do well then I would expect Athearn to re-release the 2-8-2's later.
Pacific Northern

StanierJack

A USATC 2-8-0, as supplied to Europe.

Model could be put in Lilliput and Branchline ranges, and China.

Shay Fan

Quote from: Steam Freak on June 14, 2008, 03:56:32 AM
I'd still like to have a little 36 Ton Two Truck Heisler:

Me too.

Shay Fan

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 14, 2008, 11:50:47 AM

That makes two of us, we only need 99,998 more. ;D

Dobrinin

The 36 Ton Two Truck Heisler would be sweet.  That would be my first choice. My second choice would be a switcher like SP1238 with the oiler tender.

Yampa Bob

My only experience with Athearn locos is the new 2-8-0 and 2-6-0, which are pretty small.  Apparently the 4-6-2 will be the same "vintage" smaller style.

Was the original Classic 2-8-2 larger?  That would be getting into the K class, which should be considerably larger.

The one locomotive I don't have to fill out my Colorado Railroad History theme is a Mikado, the type used by Rio Grande, and still in use by Durango and Silverton railroad.  I tried an MRC version, but did not work out well on my 18" due to the long distance from the driver to the drawbar pivot.  Rather than modify it, I returned it for refund.