News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive Suggestions!

Started by Gunslinger87, March 24, 2008, 12:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunslinger87

I've started this new topic for the disscusion of new locomotive Ideas for HO scale. Personally I'm a BIG fan of steam and Bachmann does have an impressive fleet already. But what will be their nex loco?

Dear, Mr. Bach-Mann,
  To start this disscusion off, I'd like to say I'm quite fond of your HO steam fleet. Although, in your Spectum line there are no engines from Pre-1900. Your standard    4-4-0, for example the Jupiter, are very nice locomotives. But I feel they lack the quality of Spectrum locomotives. Acctually that is quite obvious. Now your Baldwin    4-6-0 is an extremly nice model. Although I do like early 20th Century railroading I prefer to model the mid to late 1800's.
     The suggestion I have is for a 4-6-0, but this one is pre-1900. It is my beliefe that a Spectrum model of the Rogers 1890 4-6-0 would be a popular choice. Although it would be older it would still find use in early to mid 20th Century Railroads.

The engine was made famous by the movie "Back to the Future III", that way it is claer as to what locomotive I'm speaking of.

Please reply back. *Smiles*
                                                                                   Gunslinger87.

wade

I like that idea but its not for me. I would suggest a different direction. Fairbanks-Morse H20-44s haven't been done yet in plastic. I would like to see Bachmann produce them in Pittsburgh and West Virginia and Akron, Canton and Youngstown.  Fairbanks-Morse sold a hand full of this model to some big roads too. I would also buy Spectrum F-M H16-44s in P&WV.
Wade
Wade

CdrDick

Well here we go,
                            I know that this has been discussed more than once, but how about an E-44 rectifier unit. It was owned by more than just the Penn.
PRR/PC/Conrail/Amtrak and New Jersey Transit. The demand for this model is ageneral topic of discussion anytime it is brought up here in the Northeast. Mr. Bachmann, you do such a nice job representing electric motors, consider the last of the great electrics as a future project!

Thank You,
                                                                             CdrDick

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Gunslinger87 on March 24, 2008, 12:36:43 AM
  To start this disscusion off, I'd like to say I'm quite fond of your HO steam fleet. Although, in your Spectum line there are no engines from Pre-1900. Your standard    4-4-0, for example the Jupiter, are very nice locomotives. But I feel they lack the quality of Spectrum locomotives. Acctually that is quite obvious. Now your Baldwin    4-6-0 is an extremly nice model. Although I do like early 20th Century railroading I prefer to model the mid to late 1800's.
     The suggestion I have is for a 4-6-0, but this one is pre-1900. It is my beliefe that a Spectrum model of the Rogers 1890 4-6-0 would be a popular choice. Although it would be older it would still find use in early to mid 20th Century Railroads.

The engine was made famous by the movie "Back to the Future III", that way it is claer as to what locomotive I'm speaking of.

Please reply back. *Smiles*
                                                                                   Gunslinger87.

I would second Gunslinger's suggestion for a Spectrum "Jupiter" and "No. 119." Also the Rogers 4-6-0.

I guess we date ourselves by whether our reference to the Rogers 4-6-0/ Sierra #3 is Back to the Future or High Noon, Petticoat Junction, and The Iron Horse.  ;D

SteamGene

I was sort of taken by that remark about "being made famous..."  comment.  :D
I believe the black and white movie where Sierra#3 pulled the train into the depot at noon was the academy award winner, winner, winner, etc.   BTW, do note - the sheriff wore the black hat and the killer wore the white.  ???
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Gunslinger
I'm behind you 100%.   We need more locos for the pre-1900, in DC  compatible DCC.   Glad  I'm not the ony one wanting these things, that makes 2 of us LOL. Forget the diesels, too many of them already.  (that should get some comments)

I have the 119 and Jupiter and I agree they are not Spectrum quality.  I call my 119 "Wild Thang", it goes like a bat and flies off the track.  The pilot truck is so sloppy it has a mind of its own.

What I'm asking for is a true HO scale version of the narrow gauge used in early Colorado, it's not gonna happen because it would look weird.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: SteamGene on March 24, 2008, 01:01:19 PM
I was sort of taken by that remark about "being made famous..."  comment.  :D
I believe the black and white movie where Sierra#3 pulled the train into the depot at noon was the academy award winner, winner, winner, etc.   BTW, do note - the sheriff wore the black hat and the killer wore the white.   ???
Gene

I think that's called "realism."  ;D

Yampa Bob

Depends on your age. Hopalong Cassidy was my favorite, ah those were the days.  I met Roy Rogers, Gene Autrey and Smiley Burnett, got to ride "Ringeye".  Local theatre used to bring them in for promotion.   I loved the trains used in their movies.

Bob

TonyD

Railtown 1897 has a collection of posters and photos of every film #3 or the Seirra was rented out for. Including a Marx Brother's- 'way out west'? it has come to my attention no one mentioned the late Arnold Ziffel? He appeared on the Hooterville Cannonball several times in his film career.... listening to you guys, the Bachmann would have to retain Arnold's nieghbor, attorney Mr. Oliver Wendal Douglas, due to the fact Mantua Classics still sells the Seirra #3 as a limited production from time to time... yeah... a spectrum quality Jupiter & 119 would be very nice. Yampa, in a way, the roundhouse 2-8-0 is suppose to be one of those 3 foot to standard guage or back to 3 foot one size fit all Rio Grande boilers. The new production of those are 20 times better than the ol' red box kits..   
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

nickco201

Southern 4-6-2 Ps-4.... !! please with the 14k tender and elesco FWH

SteamGene

Tony,
I think Mr. Haney would find something stating that Mr. Oliver Wendal Douglas was not licensed to practice law in Hooterville, but for a modest sum that could be arranged.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Matt Bumgarner

A **SMALL** 2-8-0 resembling an SR K-class consolidation.

A nice 4-6-2 Ps4 as mentioned above would be great as well.

Matt

Gunslinger87

Well, I'm still in favorof the Rogers. Although I was not aware that Mantua was still producing it. Even if on ocasion.

Going back to the 4-4-0s, I think that Spectrum versions would be popular. And could possibly boost their 4-4-0 sales. This is all a matter of opinion though. I also feel that in terms of scale the standard Bachmann 4-4-0 is rather small. Their closer to the size of the "A.G. Dewey", #1 of the Woodstock Rwy. in Vermont.

One reason why I whish to see more pre 1900 model trains is because I feel that there is a significant lack of both engines and rolling stock. And I know that modelers who choose that era can understand how difficult it can be to accomplish this. And for those who insist on this are, Brass is the only way to go. And many, like me, we cant afford buying brass without getting a loan!

So, if Bachmann were to produce more 19th Century Locomotives and Rolling Stock, it would be for the benefit of all modelers. I know that many RR's used equipment built in the 19th Century well into the 20's.

Yampa Bob

Saddest episode was when Arnold fell in love with a dog, but their love just wasn't meant to be.  A real tail jerker, he even taught the dog to oink.  But he at least inherited enough to buy the Hooterville Cannonball.

Bob

Amtrak_Titan

Here are my suggestions:
Steam:
ATSF Blue Goose Locomotive
Milwaukee Road Hiawatha Atlantic Locomotives
Southern PS4