News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive Suggestions!

Started by Gunslinger87, March 24, 2008, 12:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Yampa Bob on June 15, 2008, 02:03:09 AM
My only experience with Athearn locos is the new 2-8-0 and 2-6-0, which are pretty small.  Apparently the 4-6-2 will be the same "vintage" smaller style.

Was the original Classic 2-8-2 larger?  That would be getting into the K class, which should be considerably larger.

The one locomotive I don't have to fill out my Colorado Railroad History theme is a Mikado, the type used by Rio Grande, and still in use by Durango and Silverton railroad.  I tried an MRC version, but did not work out well on my 18" due to the long distance from the driver to the drawbar pivot.  Rather than modify it, I returned it for refund. 

The news release on the Roundhouse site under the "recent additions" indicates that the 4-6-2 to be released is the Genesis 4-6-2 model version which has an updated mechanism.

http://www.roundhousetrains.com/Articles/HobbyWire.aspx

Will have to wait and see.  I for one would wait untill there was plenty of opinions as to the quality of this release.

There is a small picture on the site, looks like the URSA model.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

Bob,
The Athearn/MDC 4-6-2 and 2-8-2 are both models of the USRA light versions of these wheel arrangements.  The original models looked very nice, but had a bad reputation for splitting gears and not pulling much.  It is unfortunate that, knowing they produced what is commonly considered a dog, they will not do exchanges like Bachmann will.
In any event, they look nothing like the old MDC 2-8-0 and 2-6-0 which are models of Harriman locomotives. Nor do they look like the D&RGW and family K series Mikes. 
Pray for a Harriman series.  <g>
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Well, my question isn't being addressed.  I have the new Roundhouse in both 2-6-0 and 2-8-0 versions, they are very small compared to my 2-8-0 Connies, I guess because they represent earlier 1880-1900 models.  Apparently the 4-6-2 will also be the diminutive size.  All these are about the same size as my Bachmann American 4-4-0 so I assume they are all to scale for the era and model.

Since the 2-8-2 Mikado didn't appear until 1920 or so, it would not be these smaller sizes, am I correct?  The only Mikados I have seen are the same size as my Connies, just longer with the trailing truck.

I'm not a rivet counter about details, but I would hope all my locos are the appropriate size for the model, not just toy versions or a different scale.

So, my specific question is, if Roundhouse does produce a 2-8-2, will it be a small non-scale size or the larger K as used by Durango and Silverton?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

In the search for a 4-6-2 try IHC. I purchased one a couple of years ago and it is a nice loco.The tender is empty so lots of room for DCC .
Don

SteamGene

Bob,
The USRA light Mike and Pacific began to appear about 1918.  They were larger than the Harriman 2-8-0 and 2-6-0.  The Mike and Pacific wheel arrangements date back to before 1910, actually.  The "new" MDC USRA lights are improved versions of the Athearn Genesis of earlier misfortune. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ed37

id love to see a b&o streamlined 4-6-2 made as well as other streamlined steam, the k-4, the lehigh valley john wilkes, norfolk and western k 4-8-2,the blue goose 4-8-4 from at&sf,c&nw e-4 4-6-4,milwaukee streamlined steam,southern railroad PS-4 4-6-2,the reading crusader 4-6-2. all these are only availible in brass and some as the b&o are almost impossible to find and would love to see made in a well made model. most b&o steam is not made with the b+o emblem which i'd like to see made right such as the em-1, and the t-4

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

I also suggest a good mogul to go with the 4-4-0 and 4-6-0. Like this from Fallen flags

SteamGene

Santa Fe,
Other than the fact that the Erie Triplex was just put out by Mike Wolf, the design was a real Edsel and none of the few built (three?) lasted very long.  IIRC, the Virginian made two Mikados out of their Triplex.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Michael J. Caboose

Once more, some Harriman Standard steam would be wonderful. Its smaller, perfect for more small layouts, and it was a standard for many roads if I'm not mistaken.

Hagel

I would like to see some old steam to go with the 4-4-0's how about 2-4-4 forney or 2-4-0 with a short tender like the Earnest S. Marsh at Disneyland. Both engines would look good pulling bachmanns new excursion cars that i own.

danmerkel

I'll get in trouble for this one but I'd really like to see an EM-1 (B&O 2-8-8-4) or a DM&IR M3 or M4 (also a 2-8-8-4).

The 2-8-8-4 has to be the last major wheel arrangement that hasn't been done in some kind of high volume production run

dlm

jdmike

I to want to see some nice pre 1900 steam engines.  Lets see a new Casey Jones ten wheeler, that is one classic looking Rodgers built machine, you can do both the 384 and 382, 384 was Casey's assigned engine, and 382 was engineer Sam Tate's machine that Casey wrecked.  A redo of the Jupiter and 119 is way way over due.  They need to have the drive motor in the engine and not, repeat, not in the tender.  A nice freight 2-8-0 would also be nice, all need to have spectrum detailing and drive trains.  Caseys 638 2-8-0 that was featured at the worlds fair and then based out of water valley on the IC would be a nice size consolidation to produce.  I would put my name down for 1 of everything tonight!   The detail on the old AHM/Rivarossi was fine, just needs RP25 flanges and a better motor/gear ratio.    Mike

Pacific Northern

Quote from: jdmike on January 20, 2009, 08:23:46 PM
I to want to see some nice pre 1900 steam engines.  Lets see a new Casey Jones ten wheeler, that is one classic looking Rodgers built machine, you can do both the 384 and 382, 384 was Casey's assigned engine, and 382 was engineer Sam Tate's machine that Casey wrecked.  A redo of the Jupiter and 119 is way way over due.  They need to have the drive motor in the engine and not, repeat, not in the tender.  A nice freight 2-8-0 would also be nice, all need to have spectrum detailing and drive trains.  Caseys 638 2-8-0 that was featured at the worlds fair and then based out of water valley on the IC would be a nice size consolidation to produce.  I would put my name down for 1 of everything tonight!   The detail on the old AHM/Rivarossi was fine, just needs RP25 flanges and a better motor/gear ratio.    Mike

Bachman has two versions of the 10 wheeler in their Spectrum line,  the high (63" drivers) and low boiler (52" drivers).

I would not expect another 10 wheeler anytime soon.
Pacific Northern