News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trio of BNSF....Neat

Started by gsjcas, March 24, 2008, 12:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsjcas

Hello fellow railroaders.....I have a question for anyone who knows the answer....I have a real neat trio of BNSF Diesels....Three different types & manufacturers.....All the same color scheme......I like running them in a set to pull a 21 car freight....or a 22 car log train.....They each run with different speed and power.....Which one would you you put first, second and third.....Or would you not run them together at all...Does it make a difference????...I am just doing it for looks......Each one of them can pull the load alone.....Looking forward to any answers....Thanks again......Trainmangs :) :) :) :)

David Leonard

I haven't done enough experimentation to say I know the answer, but what experience I have suggests that the fastest locomotive should be last. That way it will be slowed down by hauling the train more or less on its own, while the slower locomotives in front will just be hauling themselves. This is not an exact science, and you will have to switch them around to acheive the least jerky motion, but start with the fastest unit at the rear of the consist.

Inder

David has a very scientific theory and I like it.

I have done a lot of experimentation on this matter because I have not yet switched to DCC.

But what I've found is that if there is a huge discrepancy between speeds one loco begins to skid.  I don't know if that would damage anything but I don't like it.  So if there is a huge discrepancy I do not run them together.

Otherwise I run the faster one infront because when it's behind a slower one it pushes the coupler around and one time this damaged the coupler.