Need additional water tender for UP#3985 excursion Challenger

Started by Inder, March 25, 2008, 03:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inder

Hello guys,

I decided I want to model UP's #3985 excursion train.  It carries an additional set of water tenders and I have not seen the tender sold alone or with any other loco.  So far I got the Challenger I just need the additional tenders.  I think I read somewhere that these were built later and that's probably why I don't see them sold with any prototype locomotive.
Just today I saw a Bachmann Overland and noticed that the tender is pretty close to what I need.  I may have to kit-bash it a little but it's pretty darn close.  Do you guys agree that this would be the best tender to work with?
Has anyone ever modeled this train?
Do you know any place asides from ebay where I can get just the tenders?
By the way, the Overland looks like a cool locomotive.  Does anyone have this loco?

Here's a rough sketch of how it would look.

thirdrail

If you shop around enough, you'll find an exact replica of the additional tenders has been made by Con-Cor. These were originally steam locomotive tenders that were converted to haul fuel for UP's gas turbine locomotives. Suggest you look on eBay and at shows for UP "gas turbine tenders". Con-Cor made the gas turbines in many  railroads that had none, so the tenders might not be lettered UP.  ;)

r0bert

the con cor tender is not the correct one, but it is the closest commerically available one outside of brass models.
The con cor turbine is a veranda turbine with a round tender,

while the correct tender comes from the 8500 hp three unit tender, which is only been made in brass.
this is the correct tender;

here is the stand in concor tender in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaWXzFmlNIA

Inder

Wow thanks for the info guys.
These are by far the best pictures of the tender I have seen.
Yeah that's exactly what I need.  And at least now I know that it's not commercially available which leaves me with the option of kitbashing my own.
Has anyone worked with brass sheets?  Is it hard to mold into shape and solder?

Thank you for the pictures.  I will use them for kitbashing my own.

Inder

Guys,

I found out that they only N-scale production is such tender is in brass which is hard to find and ridiculously expensive.

I am making it out of Brass.  So far so good but I need to know the length.
I have tried googling it but have had no luck.

If anyone knows the lenght of the real one or the length of the model I would appreciate it if you helped me out.

Thanks