News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-6-0?

Started by ole, March 27, 2008, 12:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ole

At the garden railroad open house the other weekend, there was a 2-6-0 running at one layout; the outdoor garden railroad group had open houses at 8 different homes around the city ---- no snow to push off the track here. Now the guy was just running the trains for the owners as they had to be out of town so I can't blame him for his answer. But he told me this engine was a Bachmann and only cost $80. It definitely was not a 1:20.3 scale but something smaller (in size). I haven't seen such a Bachmann product anywhere. So could it have been a Bachmann or some other company's loco? Any idea of the loco and for just $80?
Lee in Tucson
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

Kevin Strong

If I had to guess, I'd say that was the Bachmann "industrial" mogul, which was fairly inexpensive when it was available. It's beyond tiny, almost lilliputian. It was based on the old 2-4-2 "columbia" locomotive from Bachmann's early large scale days, but with a new wheel arrangement and (thankfully) new gearing.

Later,

K

calenelson

Like most post I'll agree with Kevin  ;D

But he did fail to mention the "Indy" is all but too hard to find-new, and I doubt any could be had for $80 any more  :(  most sell on Ebay now...but the "deal" is gone.

Makes me angry to know "I shoulda"..all those times "I coulda"...I loved that little engine.

Steve Stockham

It was ridiculously light! While it looked great, the little engine would just spin it's wheels trying to pull two cars up a 3% grade! I had to add lead weight (probably should have said "pack") everywhere! I eventually sold it on ebay but it was a sweet looking little locomotive! ;)

Gunslinger87

I REALLY want one myself. The wheel base is perfect for a Project I'm working on. Building a Porter Bell Co. Mogul, like the ones used on the Colorado Central RR.

scottychaos

The Indy:

also called the "mining mogul" or "industrial mogul"..
was a good little engine, but yes, getting scarce these days..
maybe Bachmann will re-release it someday..it seemed
a successful seller.

Scot

scottychaos

And just for the record,
Bachmann has a second Large Scale mogul,
called "The Spectrum Mogul",
in true 1/20.3 scale:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products/images/uploads/81491.jpg

The "Indy" could generally be found new for around $90,
maybe slightly more these days, since its getting harder to find..
but I wouldnt pay more than $125 for one.

And the Spectrum mogul has sold for between $250 and $400,
and also well worth the price.

Scot

Paul W.

I too still keep my eye's open for one of these great little engines. None to be found at the ECLSTS this year. Believe it or not there were some older Climax's new in boxes at the show. So many things to look at and lots of running layouts to view and get ideas from.
They still pop up on ebay from time to time, but the price is much higher then when they were new.

Good luck
Happy Steamin'

Paul

ole

That is definitely the engine; this one was a Colorado Southern but I don't know if that was custom lettering or a stock item. It was only pulling two cars on a level loop. So now that you have identified it, does anyone know just what scale it was made?
Thanks for all the info and I am definitely going to keep an eye out for one.
Lee in Tucson
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

Paul W.

Lee,
It was marketed as a 1:20.3 engine, but it was a small engine. I know alot of folks installed a larger cab to make the engine scale out to a more proper 1:20 scale proportion.

Happy Steamin'

Paul

jpipkin

I have one that I am finally redetailing with a Banta wood cab, etc.  It makes a great small engine that is at home with Porters.

Jim

Jon D. Miller

Here's the Indy with the cab kit and tender coal boards.  The larger cab makes it a good looking small engine.

With 16 ounces of weight added and the front pilot truck spring modified it will easily pull six flat cars on level track.  I also use it to pull two J&S extended length coaches.

I've had the Indy since they were first introduced.  It has been a good runner with no drive train or other problems.  Too bad it is not available at this time new from Bachmann.

What will it pull?  Here's a link to a YouTube video of the Indy with a box car and three J&S extended coaches behind the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbLCm9VTJak

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Paul W.

JD,
nice job on the weathering and the mod's to this engine. You should have given a seminar on weathering at the York show!
Happy Steamin'

Paul

GovB

Gunslinger87

Got one recently from The Train Stop (www.trainstop.com). Had been looking for one for some time. The box is labeled "1:20.3 Scale - Baldwin Industrial 2-6-0 Mogul - Item #81697 - Colorado Mining Co." with a mail-in form inside for a catalog dated 2002. If this is the vintage you're interested in they may have some left. But.......$$$$.

GovB  :)
Happy Rails to You, GovB