Changing Spectrum tenders - is this a viable option?

Started by onrman, March 29, 2008, 12:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onrman

This may be a very silly question, but is it really just a matter of unplugging one and plugging in another? I would like to change the 4-8-2 RF&P long USRA tender to a VANDERBILT HICKEN TENDER. The smaller tender would be perfect for the engine style I have in mind and they are both Spectrum products. I should point out that I will not be running the locomotive with DCC but rather DC.

kevin2083

From what I've read, It would be best to take the circuit board from the USRA tender and put it in the vanderbilt tender. This way, you know that it will be compatable.

kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Atlantic Central

onrman,

The Hicken tender will work fine behind the RF&P USRA Heavy 4-8-2.

There is no need to make any modifications or swap circuit boards.

In fact, the only spectrum model that came with the Hicken tender is the SP version of the same loco.

Kevin,

While some combinations require circuit board modifications or swaps, many do not.

Here is some of the crossover info for DC versions:

USRA Light 4-8-2 and 2-8-0 - all these tenders interchange with each other - medium coal, medium vandy oil or coal.

USRA Heavy 4-8-2 and USRA 2-6-6-2 - all these tenders interchange with each other - long coal, Hicken, long vandy.

4-6-0 and 2-10-0 - I believe these two locos share the same circuit board as they share several different tenders, but of the seperately available tenders only the small Baldwin tender will work with these two locos.

The 2-10-2 has a unique circuit board not compatible with any of the seperate tenders.

It is possible, and easier in my opinion, to rewire most boards to work with any loco. It is mainly a function of the pin assignments in the orange plugs which is easy to change. But, some locos have 12v headlights and some have LED's, this is where the problems come in.

Hope this helps.

Sheldon