New Bachmann Online Catalog - Thumbs Down!!

Started by skipgear, March 27, 2008, 03:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipgear

???

Although the reskin of the Bachmann catalog is very nice looking, it is not at all functional. Why is there a continuing trend of websites looking nicer and nicer yet becoming harder and harder to use??

The new catalog listings are useless. They give a part number, a price, and a picture so small you can barely tell what you are looking at. The descriptions are generic and contain no information about road name or number so you can't even use them as a reference either. Then about a third of the items don't have pictures at all. Look up a Spectrum N scale Heavy Mountain and tell me which one is the C&O with Vanderbuilt tender, which is the N&W, etc. They have no pictures for reference, no decriptions in the text, nothing to tell you what you are supposed to be looking at.

If you want to promote the product, give some good pictures and usefull information about it. Don't make finding the loco you want a search harder than digging through the swap meet tables at the train show. Right now the only way to find out if a road name is available in the loco you want is to click on each item, one at a time, till you find it or run out of options.

The old version was only slightly better but at least you could tell what version of the loco you were looking at.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

prebres

What I don't understand is their pricing. I would love to order items direct from Bachmann. But I won't pay the prices they show. The pricing seems to be about 20-30% higher than what I would pay on the street, or even from an online distributer. Why is this? I would think that buying from the maker should be cheaper. For example: The Dynamis is advertised on the Bachmann site @ $300. I can order it online from a large (one could even say towering) distributer for $209.00. Even with shipping, it would be $80 less than from Bachmann. Curious.

Stephen D. Richards

Bachmann only displays MSRP.  They do not sell to you directly.  You can order from them and they then redirect your order to one of their distributors!  Often the price is lower than the MSRP, butnot always.   Stephen

WoundedBear

Stephen....

If you click the "buy online" button in a product window, it takes you to B'mann's outlet.....which is operated by Shopatron. All you get there is MSRP, and I don't see it redirecting you anywhere or talk of finding you a price other than MSRP.

There is fine print that states "When you place your order with us, you agree to the price and terms indicated on our website."

A lot of times manufacturers do this to keep their dealers afloat. It isn't only in the hobby industry where this happens.

Sid

Yampa Bob

I might add, why does the catalog list the Richmond 4-4-0 at $275, while the web site lists it at $240?  A 15% increase is a bit high.  The street price is about $180, yet people claim they are buying new ones on Ebay for  $70? 

I recently visited with my favorite source, and was told the new pricing is so confusing, no one knows what to charge.  One source raised the price of a 2-8-0 by $35.  I complained so they dropped the price, but the UP is  $3 less than the others.

While a GP only went up $4 the 70 Ton went up $18, that's a 40% increase.  Make sense of that.

I'm glad I got most of my locos last year, I couldn't afford this years' pricing.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Go to the favoritespot on Ebay, a authorized factory dealership for Bachmann and you can get a 4-4-0 for $70.00  http://stores.ebay.com/THE-FAVORITE-SPOT_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm
with a few hours to go I saw at least 3 4-4-0's for under $50.00

richG

From what I see in ebay is the Richmond 4-4-0 is DCC power only for about $70.00. If you add a Micro-Tsunami light steam decoder (3/4 amp) and one inch speaker for about $120.00, you will have a nice running and sounding loco.
http://litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php?cat=116
I have a Richmond with a cheap DCC & sound decoder. It is getting a Micro like I use in my Roundhouse steam locos.

Micro Mark is taking orders for the Richmon with DCC and Sound for $208.00.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Department&ID=158&Offset=50
I think it has the Tsunami decoder but don't quote me.

Micro Mark is taking orders for the Spectrum three truck Shay with DCC & Sound for $208.00.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Department&ID=158&Offset=40

Check the details. Your mileage may vary.

Rich

the Bach-man

Dear All,
After all the print catalogs have been delivered, the on-line catalog will be updated. As you can see, this update has begun. As for pricing, we show the MSRP. It's up to each dealer to set his price. As I always say, it paysto shop around...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

grumpy

In Canada there is a three tier system. The mfg sells to a distributor the distributor sells to the dealer ( hobby shop ) the dealer sells to the end user( you and me ). The US market operates on two tiers . Mfg to dealer , dealer to end user. One of the distributors is Hobbycraft. Check out their website and pricing .
As a result the Canadian prices are so high that I purchase most of my stuff US . G scale is almost not available and those prices are astronomical.
e.g. a manual Aristocraft G  scale switch in Canada $64.00 - US $26.00.
HO Structures are ususally 25% over msrp.
If mfg's have special clear out offers you will never see them on the Canaian market.
Don :(

Yampa Bob

Actually we have a 3 tier system here also.  But sometimes a dealer, such as Tower Hobbies,  can buy in sufficient quantity to become a distributor as well, thus eliminating the "middle man". 

In recent years, Tower has bought out many major factories, so those products are now "factory direct".  That's why they have such good discounts on those products. Frankly I'm surprised they haven't already bought out Bachmann Industries, as their financial backing is unlimited.

What irks me is when a distributor sells not only to dealers like me, but also sells direct to consumers online.  Obviously I won't deal with that distributor.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Beatthe9ers

Wait a second, what in the ebay advertising leads you to believe that the 4-4-0 is DCC only?  The description is exactly what Bachmann has on it's website in terms of description and I was under the impression that the Richmond 4-4-0 would run on DC or DCC.  Am I off base on that?  I don't have DCC.  Uh-oh.

Yampa, the claims are true!!  Thefavoritespot will sell you a 4-4-0 at a 'Buy it now' price of $110, and they have multiple loco's up for auction.  I got mine for $69.99 plus $12 shipping.  At present, I see no reason to think that this loco is any different than the one Bachmann is selling direct for $240.

If you go to ebay, search for auction # 370034769751.  That's the one I bought.

Stephen D. Richards

Quote from: WoundedBear on March 27, 2008, 11:15:12 AM
Stephen....

If you click the "buy online" button in a product window, it takes you to B'mann's outlet.....which is operated by Shopatron. All you get there is MSRP, and I don't see it redirecting you anywhere or talk of finding you a price other than MSRP.

There is fine print that states "When you place your order with us, you agree to the price and terms indicated on our website."

A lot of times manufacturers do this to keep their dealers afloat. It isn't only in the hobby industry where this happens.

Sid

Sid,  you're right, I forgot to mention the Shopatron.  I have purchased three different items and they were sent from three different "dealers".  It has been awhile since I've ordered from Bachmann online.  Must be gettin old or something!    Stephen

richG

Quote from: Beatthe9ers on March 28, 2008, 03:44:12 PM
Wait a second, what in the ebay advertising leads you to believe that the 4-4-0 is DCC only?  The description is exactly what Bachmann has on it's website in terms of description and I was under the impression that the Richmond 4-4-0 would run on DC or DCC.  Am I off base on that?  I don't have DCC.  Uh-oh.

Yampa, the claims are true!!  Thefavoritespot will sell you a 4-4-0 at a 'Buy it now' price of $110, and they have multiple loco's up for auction.  I got mine for $69.99 plus $12 shipping.  At present, I see no reason to think that this loco is any different than the one Bachmann is selling direct for $240.

If you go to ebay, search for auction # 370034769751.  That's the one I bought.

I meant that DCC Only is for just power, no sound. I did not mean no DC.  I know the 4-4-0 runs on DC also. I have one.

Bachmann is going to charge $400 for the Richmond 4-4-0 with DCC & Sound..

Micro Mark will have it for $208.

Rich