News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Florence & Cripple Creek box car

Started by g-guage_trains, February 03, 2007, 01:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g-guage_trains

Hello All, What is the scale of the Florence & Cripple Creek box car? It is small next to my 4-6-0 Big Hualer.
Thanks, Alan

blue2824

Alan,
Florence & Cripple Creek is only the road name.  I has been used in nearly every scale & guage.  What are it's measurements?  What kind of detail does it have, ie; metal ladder rungs & hand holds etc.  Also can you post a pic?  But the measurements will tell all.  I think it is a 1:22.5,  20 foot boxcar.  They will look small behind a Ten-Wheeler.

Charlie Mutschler

Early on, the 22.5 box car that approximated a 30 foot car came in F&CC.  There was also an F&CC version of the gondola in both the 22.5 nominal 30 foot car and the 20.3 nominal 20 foot gondola. 

I am looking forward to seeing the new Fn3 F&CC box car, which looks great in the views we have seen on the board.  Now I just want to see how mine looks compared to the photos of the prototype. 

Charlie Mutschler ;D

Curmudgeon

I do believe the original question is the several-times-modified 20-foot, 1:20, 20-foot, 1:20 little box on wheels.
The only thing it looks good behind is the old Porter or 2-4-2/2-6-0 variants.

g-guage_trains

Thanks for the relpies to my question. The car is 12" long, 4" wide and 5"tall. It has 1" metal wheels, metal hardware and metal brake cyclinder. It is numbered 588.
Alan

Curmudgeon

They're all numbered 588.

You have a 20' car. Small. Very small.

Get at least a 1:22.5 car.

glennk28

The samples I saw at Durango are definitely 1:20.3 scale.  There was an older small car, also supposedly 1:20.3, but matched some of the earliest Rio Grande cars. gj

Curmudgeon

Glenn- Not if they're 12" long, they're not the full 1:20 cars.
And, the full 1:20 ones are #540, finally getting away from #588.

glennk28

I know the cars you refer to--have a couple lettered F&C with the transfers that used to be available--the ones at Durango are definitely bigger--includes the hopper you refer to.  gj

g-guage_trains

Thanks again for answering my question. 2 more questions. Is there a catague number for the box car? It did have couplers installed? Mine does not have couplers.
Alan

Jon D. Miller

The catalog number for the F&C 20 ft. car is Item No. 95344.

These cars originally came with a body mounted coupler.  There was/is a small plastic coupler box with a plastic coupler mounted to the car end just below the end beam.

Looking at pictures in the 2006 catalog it appears that some of the later cars may have been produced with truck mounted couplers. Can't really tell for sure.

The two 20 ft. cars that I have are equipped with the body mount coupler.

Good luck with obtaining any of these couplers from Bachmann since they don't carry replacement parts.  You may be able to get Bachmann Service to strip some off of returned cars.

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill Canelos

Charlie, 

The number for the new F&CC Fn3 car is 88097 and the road number is 540,  I saw one at a friends place and it is huge with incredible detail, and pretty heavy too. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jon D. Miller

Alan,
It just occurred to me. Bachmann used the same body mount coupler and coupler box on the 1:20.3 Consolidation locomotive. The coupler is of a more robust design but it looks like the assembly will fit the 20 ft cars.

If you could find a couple of folks that changed out these factory installed couplers for Kadee couplers that would be a source for what you need.

There may be some folks here at the Bachmann site that have made that change and would be willing to part with the Bachmann couplers.
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Danny Sheehan in Oz

You are correct, Jon.  In fact I mounted a New1:20.3 straight shaft coupler from my New 1:20.3 Flat Car into the original Connie Draft Box, and it now works perfectly with the lowered couplers which are supplied with these newer cars.
Regards, Danny Sheehan in Oz. :D