News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need Motor for brass Big Boy

Started by Inder, March 30, 2008, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inder

Hi guys,

I model N-Scale but I just bought an HO brass Tenshodo Big Boy and it needs a motor.  I am hoping you guys can help me pick a good quality motor.

It was built in 1977 just like me but I want a modern motor.

Also here's another question. 

Is there enough space in an HO Big Boy to put two motors?
I was thinking it would be cool if I could put a motor for each truck with a sound decoder each and I could make the chuff sound more accurate.

Chessie Sys. 3022

Maybe try checking Bower's website. They have lots of parts like that. The two motors idea sounds cool, but I wouldn't know if it fits because I don't have one.

~Justin

Jim Banner

NorthWest Short Line leaps to mind for a new motor.  But why two?  Couldn't you just use separate sound cams, one for each engine?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Inder

I couldn't find a site for Bower's.

Wow Northwest Short Line!!  That's a serious website. 
I like the bender tool.  I'm working on a hand-made brass tender and I need that tool.

thanks guys

Chessie Sys. 3022

Quote from: Inder on March 30, 2008, 08:49:57 PM
I couldn't find a site for Bower's.

Wow Northwest Short Line!!  That's a serious website. 
I like the bender tool.  I'm working on a hand-made brass tender and I need that tool.

thanks guys

http://bowser-trains.com/

~Justin

Inder

Well as far as two sounda cams, yeah that would be the way to do it

richG

This guy has a good selection. I have bought from him. He is very helpful. Contact him.
http://www.micro-loco-motion.com/largecoreless.html

Rich

GN.2-6-8-0

Years ago  Westside Models produced several models of articulated locomotives with multiple motors.one was the Erie triplex with believe it or not 3 motors.
That being said most of the brass articulateds that have been made would need major surgey to acommodate a second motor.Better to use a good set of gears and  a quality can motor and a bit of added weight should give all the tractive effort you'll need even  on most large club layouts .
Rocky Lives

BigBob1

Inder:

FWIW, I've repowered a lot of brass locos & while NWSL motors are OK I've had much better luck with the Helix Humper motor made by Alliance Motor Products (search the Web under Alliance Products, I think it is); they're cheap & have a lot more torque than a NWSL motor. They only make two basic motors so get the big one. Hobby shops carry them. If the Big Boy weighs much more than a pound, it's too heavy. Remove some meat from the boiler weight-- it's usually held in from the bottom by a screw or two. Pop off the smokebox door & you can then slide it out the front. You shouldn't need more than one motor-- installing two would be a huge job & hardly worth it! Have fun--     Bob Battles

Inder

Thank you guys.

I checked out all those sites and it looks like I got my fix for motors for a long time coming.

Those sites are really awesome.  I have to spend a lot of time in each one to absorb all the info. 

I will report my progress once I decide which motor to purchase.

It looks like I'll be in this hobby for the rest of my life and there's no rush