News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Heavy 4-8-2 problem

Started by jomazz, April 05, 2008, 07:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomazz

I have a spectrum 4-8-2 in which I installed a Bachmann decoder. All was well for a few days. Then one day I tried to run it and got no response. Tried a different address and, it ran. It switched its address by itself. Then I tried to reprogram it back to the original address, no go. Next day I tried again and it worked. Today I tried to run it again and, it just sat there humming. Then it gradually started moving but, it does not respond well to the throttle and has no high speed at all. I checked the tender and decoder connections but, everything looks ok. I'm new to dcc. but, will an engine change its address all by itself? I have 5 other Bachmann engines and they all run fine. I'd appreciate any help with this. P.S.: It switched its address twice.

mattallen37

you should be able to send the decoder in to bachmann as a defect and they should send you a new one. :)

Matt

ta152h0

Are you the only person with access to your setup ?? Something similar happened today on mine when a little kid started pushing buttons and the beast ( 2-10-2 ) went into programming mode scrambling the address code.

jomazz

I'm the only one who operates the trains. Just my wife and myself here. Matt, is it common for a decoder to be defective?

r.cprmier

My two cents worth;
Not as much as before.   It isn't common for a decoder to be defective; if it were, they wouldn't be as popular as they are.  By that admission, it doesn't rule it out, either. 
If you can't make it operate, then simply try another.  I hard-wire all of my decoders and completely discard that adapter block.  In doing so, I eliminate what I see as 80% of potential grief.  Between the engine and tender, there arr (usu) just six conductors (not little old men in black suits, either); two for the pickup, two for the motor, and two for the lamp.  Sort these, identify them, and just solder the leads to the respective leads of the decoder, and remember to shrink-tube the conductors at the solder joint to prevent shorts.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

jomazz

I took the decoder out & replaced the dummy. Runs fine in dc. Although it does make a little noise that I'm not sure about. Never ran it in dc before. I guess I'll have to call Bachmann & see if they will replace the decoder. It's only about 2 wks. old. As far as soldering wires inside these things, I'm afraid that's a little out of my league. Appreciate the input though.

mattallen37

As for decoders sometimes being bad ones, yes :(, they are sometimes (I have a bad one :(, only it is digitrax so i can not get a new one :'()

mattallen37

O and the sound you hear is because at the time it is a DC loco not DCC so if you are running it on dcc it will make noise when stoped and going slow.

jomazz

OK, that makes me feel better about the noise. By the way . I'm just starting to build the layout & have temporarily layed the track on the roadbed. I only have one set of wires hooked up to the track from an ez-command unit. Could that possibly cause a problem? The layout is 8'x6'

SteamGene

I have feeder wires to my flextrack - one set of feeders for every nine feet of track - minimum.  Each siding or yard track is or will be fed by feeders, too.  You might want another set of feeders opposite to where your feeders are now.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

mattallen37

Quote from: jomazz on April 06, 2008, 03:36:11 PM
OK, that makes me feel better about the noise. By the way . I'm just starting to build the layout & have temporarily layed the track on the roadbed. I only have one set of wires hooked up to the track from an ez-command unit. Could that possibly cause a problem? The layout is 8'x6'

Are you talking about the problem with the address switching? if so, not continues power will NOT reset or change the address (exept if left unpowered for more than ten years). I think you should just call Bachmann about the decoder (they have GREAT costumer service)

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Doesn't Tony's make a decoder tester before installation? Might be used to test a defective decoder.  Anyone have experience with this baby?

Best Wishes,

Jack