News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

really basic question...please help!

Started by train kid, April 06, 2008, 03:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train kid

this is a really basic question, but as one who was very active with trains as a kid in the late 60's and 70's, I am lost now.

I had a basic setup for my 3 year old (a large oval). I figured I would add switches, so I put 2 switches (4 total) on either side of the oval which form an oval inside of the oval.

My problem is this; when the train passes the power strip and reaches the switches, the engine dies (no power). I am really not sure how to hook the switches up to the power pack as I lost the packaging and consequntly have no power to the inner oval. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks in advance. :-\

GlennW

EZtrack turnouts are power routing, so the leads should go to the bottom of the Y. You may need both turnouts to be set up for the crossover for some power to route into the inner loop.

I think your best bet would be to install some extra power drops to the inside loop. Bachmann makes both curves & straight track that fit the power chips. You can also use Atlas rail joiners that have wires attached. Just be sure not to get your polarity +/- mixed up. You could also consider wiring the inner loop with a 2nd cab

newfiegod

Just a note as well.....i recently installed two switches as well for my son and had the same problem but when i put the power supply on the heel of the swotch it would still die!!! After a hour of trouble shooting i decided to wiggle the manual level to active the switch and if i moved it just a bit it worked fine.......had to take the switch apart a couple times to adjust the inner workings and now it works great both ways! Not sure if you encountered this problem ....just a heads up.