News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann dummy couplers

Started by Railhead, April 13, 2008, 05:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railhead

I've been trying to gain some info on Bachmann's new dummy knuckle coupler but haven't quite found all the info that I would like. I've read thru some of the older threads and found that the Bachmann dummies will couple with Accumates, MT's, Unimates etc. But what I would like to know is, do you still have to lift the cars to couple or can you push them together to couple them? The opening on the head in a picture I found at N Scale Supply of the Bachmann dummy shows that it might be open wider (the head) then a Unimate. Is this opened enough for standard coupling? The older dummy couple made by ConCor would couple to other knuckle couplers and the Bachmann one look simular to that by the opening. And this has got me thinging that the Bachmann dummies might be partially operating in coupling but not uncoupling. My other question is the length of the Bachmann dummies in the variety pack. What are the sizes of the small, medium & large? Bachmann should have this listed with their dummies here on their site when searching for product detail but they don't. I would like to use thse dummies on some passenger equipment I own that has Rapidos specially if these might be partially operating were Unimates won't.  Any and all info anyone can supply would be apprieciated!
                                        Railhead

GlennW

I have 2 cars that have the New Couplers. You can sometimes find them in Hobby Lobby stores. Supplies will vary with each store. Before ordering online, the ELHS should list what kind of couplers the cars come with. (Rapidos are supplied in the car box).

1) The couplers have a T shank similar to Unimates. They also come on a plastic sprue similar to Unimates.
2) Bachmann to Bachmann couplers have a slight sideways motion that should let them grab & couple on return to center. The sideways motion should allow them to couple with Accumates, & MTL's. You will have to lift them for Unimates. I'm not sure how well they will stay coupled in a 100+ car train.
3) The Small/Medium/Long differences refer to the length of the shank. Short ones should be fine for most applications. Not sure if Bachmann has a special long shank for their Amfleet cars. Long ones could be good for locos where you want to add a snowplow on the pilot.

In sum, the Unimates may be best used for diesel sets or passenger car sets that are nearly permanently coupled.
Bachmann's couplers offer a low cost way to convert cars MTL's don't fit. The T shank makes it easier to convert. I'm just not sure if they will hold up to Ntrak type operations.

Railhead

Hi Glenn,
     And thank you very much for the added information.
I've used various knuckle couplers for years (Mt's, Accumate, Unimates, ConCor dummies, etc) but never used or seen for that matter, the new Bachmann dummies other than in picture form. The old ConCor ones were a step in the right direction with being semi automatic in coupling but failed with staying coupled together with themselves or any other coupler. They were made from a soft plastic and stretched when any torque was applied. The other down side was they were only offered in one size. You could use these on passenger equipment for close coupling of cars but that was pretty much it. Couldn't use them for anything in a operational sense. The Bachmann ones I've seen in a picture look to be made of ridged plastic like the way Unimates are.  I might just get a couple packs of the multi-size "B" coupler sets and give them a try. It will be the only way to find out how they preform and post my findings here.
                                        Railhead