News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I need info about a brass engine

Started by westsidelumber12, March 28, 2008, 02:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westsidelumber12

I am looking into purchasing my first brass locomotive, the only problem is i need a little more information. Can you all help? Heres the rundown of the engine, its a ATSF class 3460  4-6-2 made by Tenshodo. It is a early run of the engine. It has a open frame motor and thats all i know, i have a picture, does anyone have anymore information? Thanks for any help.

Heres she is, pretty huh?

Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

SteamGene

I think my Brown Book is out in the barn.  I'll check when I go out there this morning.  Tenshodo is about as good as it gets in brass.  What kind of a price is being asked?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

japasha

That should have a DC 70 pittman motor in it. The gears are available from NWSL if they are bad.

Those were excellent running locomotive  when new. Tenshodo locomotives were generally painted RTR, though a bit shiny.  I don't know hat's being asked but under $300 should be good. Detail was very high by 1960s standards.

BTW, that's a 4-6-4 illustrated. Still a very good locomotive.

RAM

The first run of these locomotives did not have DC 70 pittman motors.  The motors were poor and should be replaced. 

Jim Banner

A good looking Hudson.  But I hope it runs better than my late 50's Tenshodo brass FTs and F3s.  Compared to them, my coffee grinder is the epitome of quiet.

NWSL gears and motors can do wonders, but they do add to the price.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

GN.2-6-8-0

Frankly there can be no comparison between Tenshodos steam and diesel models.
While the steam locomotives produced were close to a work of art (for their time) I'm afraid their diesels models were poorly made junk.

Brown book note 541 states Factory painted#3463 brake hangers; rivet detail on tender deck Locomotive and tender too tall.Singlebox labeled"Crown" rectangular oil tender with 20,000 gallon water capacity.
Erected 1971 P quanity 100- list price 125 . Resale value stated  at printing $275-$350
That sounds like a fair value evaluation in todays market for this model.

As for the motors in them I've for the most part found them to be fairly good making for a very good if a bit noisey running locomotive even at very low speeds. Can motors will definitily improve overall operation and is recommended especially if concidering convertion to DCC.

Larry.

Rocky Lives

TexasChief

If you buy it and don't like it, and if it runs, I'll buy it off of you!!

Dick
Santa Fe All The Way!

westsidelumber12

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on March 28, 2008, 10:06:40 PM
Frankly there can be no comparison between Tenshodos steam and diesel models.
While the steam locomotives produced were close to a work of art (for their time) I'm afraid their diesels models were poorly made junk.

Brown book note 541 states Factory painted#3463 brake hangers; rivet detail on tender deck Locomotive and tender too tall.Singlebox labeled"Crown" rectangular oil tender with 20,000 gallon water capacity.
Erected 1971 P quanity 100- list price 125 . Resale value stated  at printing $275-$350
That sounds like a fair value evaluation in todays market for this model.

As for the motors in them I've for the most part found them to be fairly good making for a very good if a bit noisey running locomotive even at very low speeds. Can motors will definitily improve overall operation and is recommended especially if concidering convertion to DCC.

Larry.

This one was not factory painted, you ask me the painter did a better job.
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

GN.2-6-8-0

Very possible,the the paint on the f/p models tended to be a little heavy
I have stripped several and improved their looks with a thinner coat of paint.
Suprising the detail that emerges  :)
At any rate the Tendhodo models are still good running and worth the money
Rocky Lives