News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My first attempt

Started by Beatthe9ers, March 28, 2008, 11:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatthe9ers

First Attempt

Here are some pics of my first model building attempt.  It’s a Branchline Blueprint Series.  Some thoughts about the experience that I am sure most of you already know but that might be pf some value to a novice like myself that is thinking about trying one.

1)   It took me longer than I thought it would.  I tried to go slowly, follow the directions and be as careful as I could.  Over the course of three nights I think I spent a total of 6 hours on this.  I have nothing to compare that to, but it seems like a long time to me.  That being said, I enjoyed the time I spent on it; the frustrations were more than equaled out by the satisfaction when something went well.
2)   In just this one effort, I’ve gathered all kinds of knowledge that I can apply to the next one that I fully believe will not only increase the quality of the finished product (there’s lots of room for that) but also cut the time it takes way down.
3)   Sometimes we forget that what seem like the most basic tips are so basic because they are undeniably true and essential, they aren’t just throw away one-liners.  ‘Treat others as you would want to be treated.  Use the right tool for the job.  Never start a land war in China.”  We’ve all heard them a thousand times, but they’re all important to remember.  I bought a minimum of equipment to put my model together, but I’ll be buying more for the second one.  Examples:  A) I did not have a precision ‘hobby knife’ for removing pieces from the sprue or trimming little excess pieces of plastic.  I will get one as well as some sort of file.  Instead, I was using a standard issue utility knife.  It was too big and difficult to use.  I broke a couple of pieces because of it and lost time through it’s inefficiency.  B) I was using an old pair of needle nose pliers to help with the very, very small pieces.  Way too big.  I switched to a tweezer the last night and that helped immensely, but my wife wasn’t very happy about it.  I will buy some sort of tweezer or other apparatus to assist.
4)   The glue issue went much better once I pulled my head out of my butt and started dipping the pieces into the glue rather then trying to put the glue in the hole.  My initial approach is so asinine I’m embarrassed to mention it, but maybe someone else will avoid my mistake.
5)   Using a very small drill bit in a pin vice to bore out the very small holes was a very good idea.  I’m glad I thought of it.
6)   The most frustrating moment actually came at the end.  The last instruction on the directions, after all the details are applied, is to attach the completed car to the base.  This was a bad idea.  Having no other techniques to employ, I had to pretty much man-handle the thing to get it together.  In the process, one coupler came off , 4 of the six little iron step thingies got popped off and the brake wheel got all messed up.  I reattached them, but the second gluing didn’t do them any favors.  Next time I will assemble before I put on all the details.
7)   In addition to losing some detailing during final assembly, one of the nuts that were included with the kit and glued to the base for additional weight came undone.  So at the moment I have a completed car with a large nut floating around inside of it.  I’m afraid to try to take the car apart for fear of further damage, so I think I am just going to live with it for at least a little while until it becomes too annoying, which I am certain it will.  The moral of he story is as above, use the right tool.  I used the plastic cement to attach the metal nut to the plastic.  That was sort of dumb I guess.  I will use some kind of super glue next time.  Or, if there are better ways to weight the car, I will try that.  Gluing nuts to the bottom doesn’t feel like the best way to do that.  I’ll research.
8)   So here it is.  There are some glue issues in places.  There are a couple of pieces that are not 100% straight.  Both break irons(?) broke, one of them was broken when I got it, one I broke with my giant utility knife.  Oh, and there’s a large nut floating free inside of it.  Other than that, I’m pretty pleased with the way it turned out for a first try.

Okay, now I am having trouble with the pictures.  I’ll post later if I get it figured out.

SteamGene

I normally use Walthers Goo to attach weights to cars.  There are two tricks with Goo.  The first is to put it on both pieces and wait two minutes before putting them together.  The second is to let the glue cure before attach carbody to the bottom. This allows all the fumes to go away. 
You want a couple of pairs of tweezers:
A broad blade which can be used with decals.
A very thin blade
A long pair - mine has a thin blade. 
I'm waiting to see the results.
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Sounds like you at least got your feet wet....up to your chin.  :D

It's not uncommon for a modeler to spend a week or 2 on a kit like that.

We are anxious to see the pictures.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

I found over the years of building models that following the instructions to the letter can cause problems like broken details. Read over the instructions a couple of times to see if you can change the order of assembly to keep from breaking parts. I'd think one of the last things to do would be to add details like grabs

TonyD

You should be able to find an 'exacto-knife' without too much of a problem. Or atleast the lighter'wallpaper' snap blade cutters, yeah the stanley knife will come in hardy, but only now and then. Old medical instruments are very handy, if you know a nurse or doctor, better to your tool bench than the sharpes container. Boxcars don't care if the hemostat hit the floor too hard. Dental intruments are handy too, but don't try do it yourself root canals, even with a good mirror. ANY small delicate tools will come in handy sooner or later. Don't worry about timing your projects, just get it done right. What was your kit? $30-$35? Don't rush it. If it seems 'not your cup of tea' stick to RTR or the 'blue box kits', one or two hours tops- usually. OH, btw, about the directions- don't ever glue the floor of a car again, 'trapped nut' is suppose to be an autobody term.
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Guilford Guy

The forums photo hosting doesn't work. Upload them to an external sight such as http://www.photobucket.com, or http://imageshack.us
Alex

SteamGene

Not bad.  I think you have the ladder upside down.  It should extend all the way to the roof. 
I like reefers.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Beatthe9ers

Yikes, you are 100% correct, Gene.  I noticed it the night after I put it on but sort of forgot about that part.  The ladder on the opposite side is correct, for what it's worth.

The top (unseen) is where the bulk of the glue issue are.  You can't see them from 4 feet away, but they are there.

Oh, and to clear things up from earlier; I did not glue the car the to base.  It could be removed, I'm just nervous to do it because I don't want to destroy it 2 days after finishing it.  In a couple of weeks I'll get back in there and get the 'floating nut' issue fixed.

Yampa Bob

Good job 9ers, great looking car.  Glad to see someone actually building things.
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

engineerkyle

Niner,

That's one sweet reefer. Did I miss who makes it?

EK

SteamGene

It looks like a Red Caboose to me.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Beatthe9ers

It's a Branchline model.  Part of their Blueprint Series.  They did a line of 1920's era Billboard Union Refrigerator Transit Reefers.  I bought a few of the RTR cars, but they have a much larger selection in kit form.

http://www.branchline-trains.com/blueprint/reefers/urtx_reefers.htm

TonyD

Your car reminds me of the dog food commercial-"what's in the reefer! I can't read!!" I wonder if anyone makes a beggin strips billboard in HO... hey those prices aren't bad, but, enough where you don't want to mess one up. You did a fine job, but in the areas you don't think you have enough practice on, buy some $3 cars at a train show, practice on them - lots of old modelers sand off the molded on details, and go from there. In a way, you need some junkers around to test glues, solvents and paints- and techniques-The glue slop can dissappear with some dark chalk or airbrushed wearthering, when you get to that stage. You have a pin drill? and didn't break any? you are doing very good... btw, too late for Christmas, but thro some birthday hints for a 'Dremel moto tool'...good luck...
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

bwreno

Hi,
Look at the positions of the ladders at the above referenced 'Branchline' site.

bob