HELP.......Differences in the On30 Bachmann Range ?

Started by fitzmfp68, March 29, 2008, 06:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzmfp68

I am an O Gauge collector (mainly Bachmann Brassworks units) but have thought about getting my feet wet in On30 items.  However, I understand that in terms of quality/detailing etc there are different ranges that Bachmann produce in this scale...am I right?

For example where does the Bachmann On30 28-ton Class B Climax locomotive fit into the scheme of things?

Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

fitzmfp68

Hamish K

Bachmann classifies them all as Spectrum. The original 2-6-0 and the Porters are probably not quite the same quality as the later models, but they are fine, especially considering the price. With the Porters the mechanism has been improved, later versions are to be preferred. The Climax is a very nice model, well detailed and, in my experience, runs well.

In general they are all good models, occasional problems, such as split gears, have been reported but these are fairly uncommon.

Hamish

Tomcat

Definitely yes - for an Example, the Shay and Climax Models do actually match up with Brass Models, they are pretty well done and have crisp details and paintwork. Have added Brass Boiler Kits from Keith Wiseman´s range on Bachmann Shays - they run and look like a entirely Brass Model...

Take the Consolidations -they´re great too. On non-geared Models, the Connie is definitely my Favorite. That´s the reason I have bought three of them... They run like a Clockwork and personally I can´t complain about any of my Engines.

Kind regards, Tom

OGReditor

I would echo the comments already made.  They are nicely made products and good performers.  Overall, they are great models!

0n30nutz

I, too, echo the above comments.
  The Bachmann Spectrum models are very well made and detailed. I own just about all, no, ALL of the steam motive power. Even the "base" model Mogul is a great runner, just not as detailed as the Connie, Shay, Climax, Forney, and American.
  As an avid O gauge collector, my only stumbling block is remembering these are meant to run, not collect. They are truly made for running, kit bashing, modifying, etc. I know, one of my Connies has undergone some detailing and paint changes, I've parted out one Mogul and rolling stock is always being "worked" on my bench.
  An added bonus (or curse, maybe), is many of the locos are DCC equiped, or at least DCC ready. Of course this has taken me down another path. Even my humble Porter is now DCC equipped, and decoders have been installed in the DCC ready locos.
  If you decide to jump into the On30 corner consider joining the various narrow gauge groups an Yahoo.
  A layout is also under construction with most of the benchwork completed...

Regards,

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

jsmvmd

Dear Mike,

From past questions I can tell you Hamish and OGR are quite experienced and respected modelers.  Apologies to other friends I do not yet know.

Too, Yahoo used to have a group comprised of Bachmann forum members and other individuals who seemed to be quite astute in things On30. 

When I was considering On30 a few years ago, a google search revealed many interesting websites. Perhaps you can find one you like.

One very nice site is from a member who modeled On30, and now has, I think transitioned to S scale. However, the information is top shelf.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/

Best Wishes,

Jack

NKline

Quote from: jsmvmd on March 31, 2008, 05:40:09 PM

Yahoo used to have a group comprised of Bachmann forum members and other individuals who seemed to be quite astute in things On30.

They still do, the On30 Conspiracy, check it out here...<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/On30conspiracy>

-Nathan

0n30nutz

Guys,

Search Yhaoo Groups for On30 and you will find a Bachmann On30 group, On30 Conspiracy, and Finescale On30 with others.
  Harold of the Pacific Coast Air Line RR (see above) is very much continuing in On30....His work is outstanding. Navigate throught his website for lots of great info.

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...