U.S. Army 60cm Gauge Railway locos and rolling stock

Started by Franck Tavernier, March 30, 2008, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franck Tavernier

Hi Bach-Man,

Is there any thought of introducing some European models for On30? I think in particular, to U.S. Army 60cm Gauge Railway locos (steam or  gas mechanical) and rolling stock used in the First World War in France!

These locos and rolling stock were used of course at the end of the First World War In France (1917-1918) but not only!

Immediately after the armistice, the light railways were sold or given to the French and used to help in reconstruction…

They were used too by the U.S. army post-war, in different camps for example, at fort Benning (Georgia); fort Dix (New Jersey); fort Humphrey (Virginia), etc.

Locomotives and rolling stock were used too in domestic use post-war…in the U.S. and around the world like France (of course!); Brazil; Egypt; India; Australia…

Some locos and rolling stock are preserved in France by the APPEVA :

http://appeva.club.fr/index_e.htm

and in England by the LEIGHTON BUZZARD RAILWAY :

http://www.buzzrail.co.uk/)...

For more informations, look after the book : "Narrow Gauge To No Man's Land" By Rich Dunn, Benchmark…

Franck Tavernier,

Athies, France.

Hamish K

For a while now I have thought that the WW1 2-6-2t locomotive could be a good choice for Bachmann to make. They were first built by ALCO for the Briish Army. After the USA emtered the war in 1917 boadly similar 2-6-2ts   were built by Baldwin (who had previously built a 4-6-0t for the British),  Davenport and Porter. So USA army,  British Army and post war versions could be made. There is a, somewat modified, ALCO 2-6-2t preserved at the Ffestiniog railway in Wales.

Some WW1 locomotives were regauged after the war, including to 30 inch. I am not sure if this applied to any 2-6-2t, but for a freelance line a regaged WW1 loco is (to me at least)  plausible (and this could also be to 3 foot or metre gauge).

A good site for further information on the WW1 railways is http://www.wdlr.org.uk/WDLR/

Hamish

the Bach-man

Dear Franck,
Actually, Mr. Riley and I have discussed these locos and cars regularly. We'll continue the discussion...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Royce Wilson

What about that pocket size stem shovel that was used at Ft.Benning.

Royce Wilson

Franck Tavernier

Hamish,

Yes ! The 2-6-2t steam loco would be a good choice, and after why not an ALCO ...The loco preserved at the Ffestiniog railway in Wales is modified loco, but there is an original sample of the ALCO 2-6-2t in France at the APPEVA railway!

The Baldwin 50 HP gas mechanical would be too a nice choice, there are differents models preserved in France and in England...

Hey Mr Bach-Man, the ball's in your court  :) ;)

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: the Bach-man on March 30, 2008, 11:41:50 PM
Dear Franck,
Actually, Mr. Riley and I have discussed these locos and cars regularly. We'll continue the discussion...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Good News!

Don't forget, it's supply which create demand  :) ;) It's what made the success of On30 here and in Europe!

Royce Wilson

on youtube there is a silent film posted that looks like a quartermaster training film for the soldier railroaders at Ft.Benning,GA. plenty shots of the 2ft gauge 2-6-2t in action. there is also engine facilites shots with all the engines steamed up!..thats neat! ;)

Royce Wilson

Steve Magee

Count me in if the next loco is a 2-6-2 tank - but preferable the one made by Baldwin and used on the Victorian Puffing Billy society line.

Don't spose I could hope for a matching o/f 2-6-0 + 0-6-2 Garratt - like G42? :)

Steve Magee

Hamish K

Some of the WW1 2-6-2t's were made by Baldwin - but the Puffing Billy locomotives are considerably larger than the WW1 locos, and outside framed.

Living in Australia I would love to see a Puffing Billy loco - but I expect that the WW1 2-6-2t is more likely. As it can represent an  American Army loco it could expect to have reasonable sales in the USA, as well as in Britain and other places where these turned up. The military association might help sales. At least one (Baldwin) WW1 2-6-2t operated in Australia post war, at the Fairymead sugar mill in Queensland. That loco is now in France.

I don't think the differences between the different makers of the American WW1 2-6-2t's were marked, the basic mouldings should do for different versions.

The Puffing Billy locos are typical American locos, but are not well known in the USA. Australian sales would be high (thanks mainly to Bachmann, ON30 is probably the most popular narrow gauge scale in Australia)  but I doubt that the Australiian market is large enough for Bachmann to aim a locomotice at it.

As for the Garratt - again I would love it but can't see Bachmann making it. Outside of Australia would it have many sales? While Garratts were widespread none went to the USA or Canada and I think the Victorian locos were the only narrow gauge outside framed 2-6-0+0-6-2 versions.

Hamish

ebtnut

FWIW, the Lost River RR out in West Virigina acquired surplus WWI locos and equipment for its logging line out of Wardensville, WV.  It connected there with the Winchester and Wardensville RR (now the Winchester and Western, running only to Gore, VA). 

curator49

Hi Bach-man

This is my first post to the Bachmann Message Board as up until a few minutes ago I had always read the messages as a "Guest".  ::)

I too would like to support some models of WW1 60 cm gauge equipment. Besides the 2-6-2T's built by the likes of Davenport, Alco and Baldwin, there were 495 Baldwin built 4-6-0T's as well as various gas-mechanicals. Many ex-WD locomotives found their way into industrial use after the War. They were used in France (sugar beet railways), UK, USA (Fort Benning and other locations) and even Australia (Queensland sugar industry). We had one Baldwin 2-6-2T (later converted to an 0-6-2T), now in France and three Baldwin 4-6-0T's. One of these survives as a 4-6-0 at a Gold Coast theme park.

Regards
curator49

Franck Tavernier

I forgot   ::) ::)  :-\ :-\, you can find in France, two original ALCO 2-6-2t, one preserved at the APPEVA and one at the AMTP :

http://assoc.pagespro-orange.fr/amtp45/gb.html

2-6-2t were built too by Vulcan with some changes...

Royce Wilson

Ft.Benning,GA had one of those engines does anyone know if it is still there?

;DRoyce Wilson

Tarheelrrds

Hey Royce,
It was as of last summer.Here is  link with photo and info. The used during construction of Camp Bragg also.
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=369

Alan Ashworth

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: curator49 on April 02, 2008, 04:53:08 PM
....now in France and three Baldwin 4-6-0T's. One of these survives as a 4-6-0 at a Gold Coast theme park.

Regards
curator49

Where are the two others preserved Baldwin 4-6-0t?

Franck.