U.S. Army 60cm Gauge Railway locos and rolling stock

Started by Franck Tavernier, March 30, 2008, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoscaleuk

Hi Bachmann  ?   mr Riley
after reading the posts on this subject with which I agree
its time that Mr Riley and your self encouraged the broadening of the 0n30 range to ijntroduvce some more "internztional " items  such has occured in the other Bachmann  ranges such as in England and Germany  not to mention China
there is in England a very strong following for O 16.5 or On 30 as its called on your side of the pond
Ragards to all
Brian

Chichester U K

Nick_Burman

Some suggestions...

China: C2 or C4 0-8-0 - the C2 would also please the Eastern European/Russian fans as they are copies of locos delivered to that part of the world;

Germany/Austria: Hey, what about carrying on from where Fleischmann Magic Train stopped?? A U-class 0-6-2T (cheaper than Henke's, please!!!), bogie (double-trucked) coaches and freight cars, some modern equipment, maybe even a 99-series 30" 2-10-2T???

UK: Welshpool & Llanfair equipment; my vote for a loco goes to the Sierra Leone Hunslet 2-6-2T, this is a loco which could have been sent to all over the world...

Cheers NB

Spule 4

Quote from: Nick_Burman on April 22, 2008, 11:08:23 AM
Some suggestions...

China: C2 or C4 0-8-0 - the C2 would also please the Eastern European/Russian fans as they are copies of locos delivered to that part of the world;

Germany/Austria: Hey, what about carrying on from where Fleischmann Magic Train stopped?? A U-class 0-6-2T (cheaper than Henke's, please!!!), bogie (double-trucked) coaches and freight cars, some modern equipment, maybe even a 99-series 30" 2-10-2T???

Cheers NB

Offered the C2 years ago on the old forum, when I had drawings of it and its Russian Pt-4 counterpart...could lup the Px48 in this lot also?  These classes numbered in the thousands and were built in many countries, including for reparations.

Bachmann already have a U class, in H0e through Liliput.  I have three here.

The problem here may be market share as H0e has more of a following.
Garrett

Franck Tavernier

Hi guy's,

Announcing...

Frank Pearsall will be at Narrow track 08, Brevard, North Carolina, on Friday and Saturday, October 10 and 11, as "60cm narrow gauge U.S. Army railroad in WW I" clinic presenter!

Convention hours are:

Friday, October 10, 2008â€"2 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
   Saturday, October 11, 2008â€"8:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.

;)

renniks

I believe that the British specified the 4-6-0T configuration for the trench locos supplied to the Brit Army for use in France.
     The US Army used 2-6-2Ts in France and Army bases in the States. Have seen a photo of a Baldwin pulling a Passenger train in Oahu in 1929.

From memory the main difference between Alco and Baldwin locos was at front deck. The Baldwin had a plate front beam where the Alco had a rectangular box girder,and the side tanks extended forward of the smokebox.
      A couple of years ago on some group, there was a post from an ex-serviceman who saw a (polished) Baldwin still in steam decades after WW1 at a US Army depot. Seems that it was the COs "Pet".

Eric UK

glennk28

Looks like a wealth of potential modeling subjects--great topic.   gj

HarryHotspur

I second the request for UK or European outline trains. I think there would be a strong demand worldwide, and Bachmann would virtually have the market to itself. It's obvious that Fleischmann is just going to let it's Oe line die out, even if Fleischmann survives.

Hamish K

Quote from: HarryHotspur on June 04, 2008, 07:37:46 PM
I second the request for UK or European outline trains. I think there would be a strong demand worldwide, and Bachmann would virtually have the market to itself. It's obvious that Fleischmann is just going to let it's Oe line die out, even if Fleischmann survives.

Fleischmann has recently been bought by ROCO, or more accurately the holding company that owns ROCO. It remains to be seen what the new owners will do with Fleischmann's Oe line (or the other Fleischmann products for that matter).

Bachmann has its own German and UK companies. Making UK or european outline  O narrow gauge  would, I presume, be up to these companies. I would love to see it, but the Bach Man, and this board, only relates to the American arm of Bachmann, Bachmann Industries.  I can't see american Bachmann making non-american outline locos (although they occasionally import foreign items made by other braches of Bachmann, e.g. the Chinese SY Mikados made by Bachmann China). Of course Bachmann quite popular in some overseas countries, so there is scope for making american outline locos that have a particular appeal overseas as well as in America. The WW1 american locos are an example of this.

Hamish

JJM-0n30

Hello All,

I would like to add my contribution.

The idea of a 2-6-2 T and a 4-6-0 T from Alco and from Baldwin will be very interesting for French modellers (I'm a French 0n30 and Oe16.5 modeller). In France, we had a lot and a lot of locomotives as these ones which stayed in France after the WWI. They used them very often for industrial railways (for example : sugar-beet industry).

I model an industrial 60 cm gauge French narrow gauge railway in O scale who's name is "Le chemin de fer de Vis-en-Artois" ( see : www.jackymolinaro.com ) and I had built a 2-6-2 T from Baldwin with the inside frames : it's the easiest to do. I'm building a 4-6-0 T Baldwin. And I would like to build a 2-6-2 T from Alco just after.

I would like Bachmann will release all these locomotives. There is a lot of interest for French narrow gauge modellers !

The Vis-en-Artois railway had 30 4-6-0 T in the fifties !!!

PLEASE MR BACHMANN : MAKE THE BALDWIN FOR US  :)

Here are two photographs of my work.

All the Best,

JJM-0n30 (France)

The 2-6-2 T on my layout :

And the 4-6-0 is made with a heavy modified 0-6-0 T HO scale Bachmann chassis !

the Bach-man

Dear JJM,
Very, very nice!
Keep on Trackin',
the Bach-man

JJM-0n30

Hello all,

this is the last photograph of my scratchbuilt 4-6-0 T (with the help of a Bachmann 0-6-0 ST in HO scale deeply modified).

Please Mr Bachmann : make a model of this loco in 0n30 for us !!!

Jacky

LurchBird

That's looks great, Jacky!  And thanks for reviving this thread.  I had recalled discussions of 2-6-2T's in military service.  As I'd like to see Bachmann create a 2-6-2T model, I hope they see the possibilities out there so that they can get a lot of mileage out of their investment.

Mark

JJM-0n30

Hello all,

on the 8th and 9th of November, in Vis-en-Artois (North of France) has took place an intersting exhibition about the "Chemin de fer à voie de 60 de Vis-en-Artois" (literaly : "the 60 cm gauge railway of Vis-en-Artois).

Vis-en-Artois was the centerplace of a large industrial system where we could find at least three 2-6-2T Alco and thirty 4-6-0T from Baldwin. There was about 700 wagons all from English War Department and Pershing from USA. A very interesting layout which ran from 1926 to 1957.

This subject is very interesting and well known for French and English people.

So, Mr Bachmann - make a 4-6-0T and a 2-6-2T please. We have a lot to do to model this railway !

The exhibition report can be see on my website on the report page at : www.jackymolinaro.com  /  report  /  Vis-en-Artois ...