News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

another tender request

Started by SteamGene, March 31, 2008, 04:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Mr. Bachmann,
Could you suggest to Mr. Riley that the company offer the long haul tender that comes with your 2-8-4 as a tender only purchase?  I could easily see the VT&P wanting some for the 2-6-6-2, the 2-10-2s, and the 4-8-2s at a minimum.  If I can figure a way to do it, they would look good behind 2-8-2s and even 4-6-2s.  It's hard to imagine an Eastern railroad in 1957 still using the USRA tender. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

sour rails

That's a great idea, Gene. ;)
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

Virginian

Actually Gene it isn't hard to imagine because there is one still running in 2007.  I believe N&W 475 at Strasburg still has her USRA tender.  Although I liked the N&W 4-8-0 tenders better.
"What could have happened... did."

the Bach-man

Dear Gene,
Will do!
Have  fun!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

Virginian,
I'll admit I generalized a bit too much.  OTOH, I bet in 1957 N&W 475 wasn't working with a USRA small tender behind.  Especially since 475 is not a USRA locomotive.   ;)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Orsonroy

Add me and just about every other NKP steam modeler out there to the list. Bachmann's new Berkshire tender is actually nicer than the Proto version, and comes fairly close to the 25 similar tenders the NKP bought for use behind USRA clone 2-8-2s (two of which are still around; 624 has one in Hammond, IN, and 587 ran fan trips with hers for several years).

LOTS of railroads used similar tenders behind older, smaller engines, especially Mikados. Off the top of my head I can name the PM, C&O, Wabash, DT&I, TP&W and IC as roads that used tenders that at least pass the "ten foot rule".
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

Yampa Bob

I am no authority on this subject, but I have been told that most Engineers prefer a small tender behind.   :D

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jsmvmd

Bob,

I must admit to having the same thoughts every time I hear that phrase.

Best Wishes?

Jack

Atlantic Central

Well,

If we use the B&O as a typical east coast railroad, we find they had every manner and size right up to the end of steam.

President series Pacifics that were modernized recieved large modern tenders with 6 wheel trucks. But some where never modernzed and kept their USRA style tenders until they were scrapped.

Lighter Pacifics kept USRA style tenders even when modernized, unless they had been converted to Vanderbilt tenders. There are many 1950's photos of P5's (USRA light) with their orginal tenders.

Similar practices were true with their large fleet of Mikes.

Newer locos like their home built Mountains had larger more modern looking tenders right from the start.

The 2-8-4 tender is a good looking and typical modern tender and would be a great item to have seperately.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Bob and Jack;

I guess we're ALL dirty old men.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Yampa Bob

Hey I resent that. To be politically correct, I prefer to be called a "Sexy Senior Citizen".
:D

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

kevin2083

Why do we ALL have to be old?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

rogertra

Quote from: r.cprmier on April 01, 2008, 07:12:35 PM
Bob and Jack;

I guess we're ALL dirty old men.

HEY! 

Not so much of the "old", if you please.

grumpy

You are old when the talk about cabooses is about trains.
Don ;)

hotrainlover

My Grandpa was 93..  HE STILL talked about cabooses, :o.  He did not mean trains....!!  HE was never old.  He died young at 97.

I hope I reach that realism in life!!