News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Keeping track of trains

Started by BIG BEAR, February 26, 2007, 01:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG BEAR

I was wondering how others keep track of, or Inventoy your trains, rolling stock, structures, etc., AND do you have them insured?

Please give your ideas or opinions on this.

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Bill Baker

Barry,

I have set up an Excel spreadsheet in which I list all my rolling stock.  First column identifies the car (eg: Box car, flat car etc) second column is the originating line, third is the road number, fourth is the model manufacturer if known, and finally there is a comment on how well the unit performs (couplers, wheels etc...this later becomes work orders for maintenance). Incidentally, I would love to learn how the real railroads keep track of their stock.

Your idea of specifically insuring a layout is a good idea.  I haven't done it yet. I don't think it would be too expensive...it would be a rider on your homeowners insurance.  I would take a wild guess and estimate it would be around $100.00 per year for several thousand dollars of insurance.  Just a guess though.

Bill
Bill

Atlantic Central

Big Bear,

Unless you have a very large collection or lots of unusually expensive items like 50 brass locos, then your homeowners insurance is most likely adiquite. But having a list will be necessary to show what you had if something happens.

I have a simple list, not even on a spread sheet, but rather just in a word document in my computer so it is easy to update. It is broken down first by roadname, then by car/loco type.

Sheldon

Stephen Warrington

I keep track of my modest collection using a basic database with Reporting marks RR name type of couplers wheel set type who made it and its current condition followed by the year bought. It helps me keep up with my 272 items in HO and 115 in large scale on two separate databases.

Stephen

chewie8han

I use a program called RR trains.  It can be found at http://www.gregorybraun.com/RRTrains.html

It's not the perfect program, but it's pretty good.  Some of the items can be changed in the registry.

Kevin

Jim Banner

Insuring the trains is no problem.  Insuring the railroad is another matter.  All the insurance companies want to cover it for is the price of the materials.  Kind of like losing a Rembrant and they want to pay you for the cost of the oil paints and canvas.  Not that my layout is any Rembrant, but hey, a pile of 2x4's, bags of plaster, a few quarts of paint and a lot of glue is NOT a replacement for my layout if my basement floods or my house burns down.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BIG BEAR

I recently came across another software program for train collecting
Mod Tech,Inc.   www.mt-ac.com/   and click on trains. They also have a nice looking Dept 56 program.

Are there any other train collecting software programs out there?

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Tom Hogan

QuoteI use a program called RR trains.  It can be found at http://www.gregorybraun.com/RRTrains.html

It's not the perfect program, but it's pretty good.  Some of the items can be changed in the registry.

Kevin

Hey Kevin...I downloaded this and I'll be darned if I can find it.....not like me to loose a downloaded item....I still have the install and unzip icon on my desktop, ran them twice....2nd time asked ok to write over old program and I clicked yes....still can't find it!

chewie8han

Tom,
If it didn't put a shortcut on the desktop or on your start menu, you should be able to find it at c:\Program Files\Software By Design\.  It might be on your Start Menu under Software By Design as well.

Kevin

Tom Hogan

Still couldn't find it.....but I copy and pasted your  file name and ran "search" and found it....saved the icon in my tool bar....THANKS