News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with my Pennsy R-2

Started by Dr EMD, March 31, 2008, 09:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr EMD

I have this Pennsy 4-8-4 which I received last year on April one, I have 800mm radius curves on my layout, yet the front bogie keeps derailing. I adjusted the tension on the spring with my metric needle nose pliers and loosen the screw with my friend's left handed phillips screwdriver. The problem is still there.

Would cutting a loonie in half and gluing the half loonie on top of the bogie add more weight to make the R-2 track better?

My PRR GG-2 Challenger runs with no problem. ::)
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Jim Banner

A penny or two might be enough, and save you 98 cents.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jbustle742

Sure sounds like it would CORRECT any problems you have now or in the future! joe

SteamGene

Add the weight - remove the spring.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

Maybe a little hydrogen weight instead? I used it on my New Haven EF-5- all my derailment problems were solved.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

pdlethbridge

If its mounted like most lead trucks, its mounted in the center and the truck has an elongated slot . My solution would be to remove the truck and mount a thin piece of brass about 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches. use a screw from the plate that holds the drivers to loosely hold this plate that is screwed to the lead truck. This will help it track much better.

Dr EMD

Thanks for the advice about the weight over the front bogie. Instead I got some depleted uranium to use as a ballast weight. So far, no problems developed. Since I have my Pennsy P-6 Hudson out of the carrying case, I added depleted uranium to increase traction.

Now I have this yellowish glow around my layout after I'm finished my work for the day.

pdlethbridge

Yampa Bob

Dr
Does the "uranium" have anything to do with April 1 ?   :D

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Dr EMD

Pennsy 4-8-4, PRR never owned a 4-8-4 steam locomotive. The 4-8-4 they owned was an electric)

April one (hint) metric needle nose pliers (hint) left handed phillips screwdriver (hint)

PRR GG-2 Challenger (PRR 4-6+6-4 was an electric. If the War Production board gave the PRR the UP Challenger during WWII, then it would have been a GG-2

P-6 4-6-4 wheel arrangement was one the PRR never owned. All the P class were electrics.

For those who were here last year, you knew it was coming. Some added a twist or two to keep it interesting.

;D

APRIL FOOL!!

Yampa Bob

That's a good one.  Thanks for the laughs. Yeah, I caught the southpaw screwdriver, wondered how long it would take.

Did you see the "Flying Penguins"?.  It was featured on the Fox news tonight, it was hilarious.

Every year on April 1, I stick a reminder on my watch, computer, everywhere.  When I was a kid, my dad used to get me everytime. 

Bob

grumpy

I caught on right away as soon as he mentioned the loonie . With the value of the US dollar so low he couldn't afford the loonie.
Don :(

Yampa Bob

Hey Don
How are ya?  Haven't seen you on for a spell. I guess since this whole thread is off topic, we can yak a bit.

Lots of new threads tonight, but no one is replying until midnight.  I have the last reply on about 10 threads, guess I better shut up and go to bed.  (maybe dream about "cabooses" )   :D   

Bob

Woody Elmore

And here I was looking for a source of depleted Uranium to use as truck weights.

pdlethbridge

Doc, did you get that front truck working on the R2?