News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Anyone built a Micro-Mark Cupola Kit?

Started by ole, March 31, 2008, 11:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ole

I happened to see that Micro-Mark has a Cupola Kit for the Bachmann combine. It says it is a laser cut wood kit, so what does that mean? Is it one of those box-of-pieces that you start from scratch? And what about the ladders and handrails? It would appear that the hardest thing would be to develop a template for the roof --- unless you are supposed to cut the cupola into the roof. So has anyone worked with this kit? Lee in Tucson.
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

wade

I believe the cupola kit at the Micro-Mark site is the Banta kit. I haven't done this exact kit but other Banta kits are ready made to fit. Usually cutting is kept to a minimum. You will be surprised how nice it goes together. Laser kits are thin flat sheets of wood cut with a laser for perfect fit and detail. I usually finish mine with thinned water based paint then a dull clear coat. The effect is wonderfully weathered wood.
Wade
Wade

epeorus

As far as I know, the Micro-Mark kit (I assume you are refering to the SR&RL modification) is a laser cut kit designed to fit on the Bachmann On30 coach chasis.  There is no modificaiton of the body needed (it becomes "scrap").  I have not built the kit, but it sure looks like it would be fun.

The Banta cupola is not listed on their website but I have one of those, ordered directly from Banta.  They are designed to fit on to the combine, to represent a drovers cabosse or something close to the D&RGW's "Pagosa".  The cupola from the Banta kit is designed to fit over the existing coach roof and includes all of the hardware and drilling guides, etc.  Havent' built it yet but hope to post some pictures soon.
Jim
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

wade

epeorus
Its there under rolling stock kits and detail parts on the last page.
Wade
Wade

epeorus

Wade,

Right you are ... my mistake.  It's the Banta kit and it should slip right over the top of the combine, just fine.  Pretty seamless conversion but one I am anxious to get going on my own layout.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jim
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

ebtbob

Good Afternoon All,

Just a piece of info.....Deerfield River Laser offers a cupola that fits on top of a Bachmann passerger car.   It can be installed with or without cutting of the roof. 

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

David

I built the Banta conversion kit without any major issues. The kit instructions call for the use of .020" brass rod but none was supplied. Instead there were 2 pieces of .016" and 3 pieces of .032" stock. I used some .020" rod I had on hand for the cupola grab irons and the upright supports for the long handrails and the supplied .032" stock for the handrail itself. The .016" stock was too flexible to be used. The other changes I made were the addition of some fabric glued to the top of the cuploa ( with white glue) to give it a little texture and the shortening of the skylight cover pieces to just cover two skylights only. The cupola was then positioned directly above and between the coach side windows and the baggage door. The paint colors I used for a perfect match were Floquill engine black for the cupola roof, the ladders and the handrails and pullman green for the cupola itself. Give the cuplola roof a couple coats of gloss clear dope and it will match the coach roof.
Regards,
David Silverton
Vernon Hills, IL
K8UOP