News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0

Started by Elwin, April 01, 2008, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elwin

I own a Bachmann 2-8-0 engine. I just pruchased a Bachmann K-27 engine. I installed the QSI decoder, sound and radio receiver in it with great results. I wish to install the same system in the 2-8-0 engine. I have not removed the boiler to take a peek inside the boiler to see if the board will accept a decoder such as the QSI system but according the exploded veiws it appears there are not a receptable to plug the decoder into?

Can this engine be set with the QSI system? According the the literature from Bachmann the 2-8-0 is supposed to be DCC Ready. I love this engine but presently running it on the Aristo Engineer using varialbe track voltage. I love the way the K-27 runs so well with the QSI system I would like to install the QSI system in the 2-8-0.

I will greatly appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks, Elwin

John B

Elwin,

I’m preparing to put the QSI Magnum in my Connie.  I currently have a Digitrax 583S in her.  The term DCC ready has several meanings from plug and go to the frame is not the ground.  If the frame were the ground as in much older engines, one would have to isolate the engine and such.  In the case of the Connie, the engine and other items are isolated from the OE board but that's about it.  However, after several attempts to make the 583S work with the OE board, I took the board out, read the wiring out and installed the 583S according to the manufacturer.  I did not hook up the smoke unit. 

When I go to put the QSI in her I will use the screw on terminals to connect it.  The one problem is the ash pan and smoke box lights.  There is currently no way to make them flicker with the QSI decoder.  There is supposed to be a supplemental lighting board that plugs in to the QSI board for this purpose coming soon.  The only thing to do currently is to leave them unconnected or hard wire them in. 

To give BM credit they did improve the ability to connect a decoder with each new engine.  I have the new shay and it could be wired right into the OE board and as you know the K-27 just plugs in

John