News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I am new... HELP with couplers!

Started by Mooring, April 01, 2008, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooring

Greetings,
I have jumped the ship and left the expensive 027 scale to come to N.
I left not only because of the cost but because of the room needed and for the realism of the models.  I did some research before leaving and from what I found out that Bachmann was the way to go as far as the quality and price ratio was concerned.
Having made my mind up I went out looking....  Talked to my local hobby dealer, he said "I can order anything you want!"  I thought, "OK" sounds good...
I wanted to test both Steam and Diesel versions of Bachmanns entry level offerings...   So I opted for the 4-8-4 "Empire Builder" set and a lone Union Pacific GP-40.  Got em home snapped the track together and PRESTO!  BOTH RAN LIKE A WATCH!  VERY PLEASED!!!   For the price I was paying for a used Lionel Loco,  I had a full set and a UP GP40 to boot!
Then I noticed something sad....   The "Empire Builder" set has different couplers than the GP40.   I have learned from reading that all new Bachmann trains are switching couplers...   
Sorry for the long story....
But how much more is it gonna cost me to get the "Empire" set switched to the new couplers?   I read somewhere you have to replace the entire truck? If that is the case is there a "new truck" for the COOL tender that came with the "Empire" set? 

Sorry guys and gals ....   First post so many questions... Just new to this game and need your help...

-Mooring

fieromike

Quote from: Mooring on April 01, 2008, 07:46:49 PM
Greetings,
I have jumped the ship and left the expensive 027 scale to come to N.
I left not only because of the cost but because of the room needed and for the realism of the models.  I did some research before leaving and from what I found out that Bachmann was the way to go as far as the quality and price ratio was concerned.
Having made my mind up I went out looking....  Talked to my local hobby dealer, he said "I can order anything you want!"  I thought, "OK" sounds good...
I wanted to test both Steam and Diesel versions of Bachmanns entry level offerings...   So I opted for the 4-8-4 "Empire Builder" set and a lone Union Pacific GP-40.  Got em home snapped the track together and PRESTO!  BOTH RAN LIKE A WATCH!  VERY PLEASED!!!   For the price I was paying for a used Lionel Loco,  I had a full set and a UP GP40 to boot!
Then I noticed something sad....   The "Empire Builder" set has different couplers than the GP40.   I have learned from reading that all new Bachmann trains are switching couplers...   
Sorry for the long story....
But how much more is it gonna cost me to get the "Empire" set switched to the new couplers?   I read somewhere you have to replace the entire truck? If that is the case is there a "new truck" for the COOL tender that came with the "Empire" set? 

Sorry guys and gals ....   First post so many questions... Just new to this game and need your help...

-Mooring

Since no one else has spoken, Welcome to N Scale!
In n scale, there are basically two types of couplers.  The first, and oldest, is the Rapido type that looks nothing like a knuckle coupler.  The other, knuckle types come in several different flavors that will (or are supposed to) interchange with the others.  The best known is by the originators, Kadee/Micro-Trains.  There are also operating couplers available from Atlas, LifeLike/Walthers, Kato, etc.  Bachmann's knuckle couplers will hook up with these, but it is a dummy that won't give you automatic uncoupling.
Couplers are available as an assembly with many different types of trucks, or as individual components for body mounting.  You are in a good position to switch to automatic couplers as you don't yet have a huge roster.  The oil tender on the 4-8-4 is an easy conversion to body mounts with a Micro-Trains part.

Mike

taz-of-boyds

Mooring,

Be sure to check with your local hobby shop (LHS) since you have one.  At this stage (if they know what they are doing) they should be able to help you find knuckle couple conversions for your Rapido equipped trains.  As Mike indicated you can cut the coupler assemble (carefully) off the truck and put a MicroTrains body mount under the end of the tender and the other cars.  Your LHS guy (or gal) might be able to help you get coupler conversions that go on your trucks in place of the Rapido, once you pull the Rapido out of its holder.

If you have been back to the LHS and they did not help let us know.
Charles