NFL Express F7 AB Engines by Bachmann are disappointing.

Started by rocknblues, April 03, 2008, 01:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocknblues

I purchase an HO scale NFL Express from Collectables Today and have received everything needed to run the train. First dillema, Unit B was not working at all, so Engine A could barely pull it, and cannot pull the additional passenger car. Collectables Today mailed me a brand new B Engine. Dillema 2, that engine does not work either. Not even a hum from B Units. A Unit can barely pull B Unit again. Comparing the F7 A from Bachmann and an F7A I have from Athearn, I have no problem pulling 7 passenger cars with the Athearn. The Bachmann F7A  will not pull more than 3 cars and throttle has to be wide open. I am very disappointed in this train set because the Shells are painted great! But not impressed at all with Bachmann engines. The F7A Unit sounds like its scraping as it goes down the tracks.
Anybody else have similar problems with the sets made by Bachmann? It was a beautiful collector set, but I am afraid I will have to send it back and have them refund my money.
rock :)

Mike

This is not an "absolute" answer, but several of the F7's had a problem with the lubrication drying up in the motors. Try removing the shell of the A unit. (remove the fuel tank and pull the two screws under it.) Then apply a small drop of PLASTIC COMPATIBLE oil to the bearing on each end of the motor. My F7's ran beautifully after lubrication (and much more quietly!), and they pull a complete train with no problem. For what it's worth, most Bachmann sets with A/B units have a powered A unit and a weighted non-powered dummy B unit. Pop off the fuel tank (same as above) and check for a motor. Since the wheels turn freely, my guess is it's a dummy B. Enjoy your trains!- Mike S.

Stephen D. Richards

I have the Police Partners series, so far 10 cars.  The F7 pulled them just fine.  Yes the "B" unit is a dummy!  I changed the A unit to DCC and completely powered the B unit to DCC.  It works great.  Excellent artwork.  Yes they are the standard locomotives and rolling stock but a little imagination and work and they are first rate.    Stephen

rocknblues

It is advertised as the A and B unit are both supposed to be powered. I have it printed out. When you order a product, I see no reason to have to take it apart, fix it, oil it, or whatever. This to me is a reflection on the company that makes the product, what is a consumer paying for?
Here is your new TV set, oh by the way, you may have to take off the back and change a wire or two if you need it to work. What???
Collectables Today are not disputing the fact that the B Unit Engine are supposed to be powered. The second B Unit is not free wheeling, I have cleaned the wheels, cleaned the track, my other train runs fine, the Bachmann product does not. I am just frustrated, a person pays good money expecting a quality product. I probably will take it to a hobby shop and see whats wrong.
One other note, I have a dummy unit on another train, the B Unit Engine for the Bachmann is equally as heavy as the locomotive, I don't believe dummy units are weighted this heavy. But thanks for the input people, I do appreciate it, and will appreciate more input if anyone has any. Thanks

kevin2083

You might try putting the Bachmann shell on the Athearn frame. I just went and tried this, just for this post, and the shell will fit without modifications.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Jake

Quote from: rocknblues on April 03, 2008, 05:16:03 PM
It is advertised as the A and B unit are both supposed to be powered. I have it printed out. When you order a product, I see no reason to have to take it apart, fix it, oil it, or whatever. This to me is a reflection on the company that makes the product, what is a consumer paying for?
Here is your new TV set, oh by the way, you may have to take off the back and change a wire or two if you need it to work. What???
Collectables Today are not disputing the fact that the B Unit Engine are supposed to be powered. The second B Unit is not free wheeling, I have cleaned the wheels, cleaned the track, my other train runs fine, the Bachmann product does not. I am just frustrated, a person pays good money expecting a quality product. I probably will take it to a hobby shop and see whats wrong.
One other note, I have a dummy unit on another train, the B Unit Engine for the Bachmann is equally as heavy as the locomotive, I don't believe dummy units are weighted this heavy. But thanks for the input people, I do appreciate it, and will appreciate more input if anyone has any. Thanks

Someone does not have a concept of this new thing called 'maintenance'... :o
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Guilford Guy

Problems come up. Take it to a hobby shop. They should be able to help you for a nominal fee. If you have a friend with trains, they may do it for no charge. Some argue part of the hobby is tinkering to make it work right. Sounds like their could be a lose wire, if there is no sign of life it sounds like you aren't getting power to the motor. If you take the shell off you will see first hand if something is missing.
Alex

SteamGene

Collectibles Today has a tendency to write their ads to make you think you read something you did not.  I can see where somebody would THINK the B unit is powered, but the ad does not say it is.  Many people who buy these sets never run their engine or cars.  You are paying something like four times what the same things in a real paint scheme would cost at MSRP.  
I know nothing about Bachmann diesels, but their steam is generally first rate.  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rocknblues

The Rep's from Collectables Today agreed that the B Unit is supposed to be powered. They said they are going to test the next one to make sure it is working properly. However, I removed the shell on the Unit that was free wheeling, (Second unit they sent is not free wheeling.) The trucks have a gear on each axle, there is a plastic frame that would house a motor, but no motor. The frame of the Unit is thick heavy metal so there is where the weight comes in. More info to come after they send me a third B Unit to try.

Stephen D. Richards

That's the way the B unit is suppossed to be.  It is heavy, and your description of the trucks is accurate.  I checked the web site and read all the postings for HO trains and none of the B unit's are operational.  If Collectibles Today said they agree the B unit is powered, let us know of the results.  Sounds like someone at Collectibles Today is not familiar with the trains.  Which NFL set do you have?  Stephen

rocknblues

I have the Green Bay Express, and I love the paint job. Why make a dummy unit so heavy? Like I have said, the F7A loco is not powerful enough to pull the heavy B Unit and a passenger car. My Athearn F7, which came in a set similar to the Bachmann, free track, free transformer etc, pulls a dummy unit plus seven heavyweight passenger cars with no problem. The Bachmann loco I have to run at full throttle constantly. I have greased the shafts of the motor with a light grease for model trains, lightly oiled wheels. No better performance. If this is the case, Bachmann is certainly not on my list of purchasing again. Its not Collectables Today that make the train, its Bachmann that is responsible for the power that is put into them. I sent a letter to Collectables Today along with the B Unit and told them if the B Unit isnt powered, dont bother to send me a new one, I will send the whole set back to them. To me its useless to have a set where you have to watch the loco struggle at wide open. I dont believe there is anything wrong with the loco A Unit. Its just not made to run a track other than in a little circle, not a 4x8 layout. I know the price is jacked up extremely because it is a special paint job. But that has nothing to do with quality of the power. I am new to the hobby, and am learning valuable lessons. Rule number 1: dont get burned a second time by buying a product with poor performance. The ads your reading online are just a snippet of a two page ad and two page color brochure I received explaining that by adding the B Unit Engine it will boost up the power to pull the Green Bay Packer Express along the track. I really didnt just buy this set on a whim, I checked and rechecked before telling my wife, sure go ahead and order it. She wanted to buy it as a surprise, but thought she better ask me first. LOL  I told her next time just surprise me, that way I have someone to blame other than myself for being a sucker. LOL

rocknblues

Now I am done bitch'n.
How much trouble would I have purchasing a motor and powering up the HO B Unit by Bachmann. Is it something I could accomplish myself? Or maybe purchase a powered B Unit and switch shells. Would this assist the F7A in pulling power?

Mike

The quickest and cheapest move would be to purchase a powered F7 (A or B, either would work...same frame/chassis) and then change the shells. By the way, you ought to be able to get a new complete unit for a lot less $ than you paid for the "collectable" one.- Mike

rocknblues

Thanks Mike, I think if I decide to keep the set that is what I will do. It should assist in the pulling correct? I realize before I bought the collector train that the price was jacked up, but what can I say, I've been a Packer fan for over forty years, so I was looking at a unique keepsake to add to the hobby. The words mighty and powerful engines in the ads sucked me in.

Mike

The powered B unit should pull as much as the powered A unit... therefore you'll have twice as much power.- Mike