NFL Express F7 AB Engines by Bachmann are disappointing.

Started by rocknblues, April 03, 2008, 01:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen D. Richards

Bachmann no longer manufactures the F7 loco for general sells.  They do, however, make the FT unit and the shells will interchange.  I think your problem here is your F7 unit.  I own severl to include one from Collectibles Today.  It is a Bachmann unit, DC only, and it pulls very well.  I did repower the B unit but just because I wanted to.  Easiest way is to switch shells and the trucks.  They just pull off and switch them with another Bachmann  FTA unit.       Stephen

rocknblues

Thanks for your input Stephen, that is what I will probably do. I am thinking that the Reps at Colllectables Today are trying to be helpful, but really don't know anything about trains. Oh well, I will wait and see if they send me out another unit. I still have the Unit that is free wheeling, so I will end up powering that one up.
rock :)

murfling

I have the Red Sox, Patriots, and NHL Origonal Six trains, and all are on display on the shelf for the exact same reason -- B Units are not powered, and the A Unit cannot pull the whole train. The Patriots train is up to 14 cars now, so I have my doubts that even the two units powered would pull them.  But My AMD-103 from Athearn will pull eight of them by itself.

But they look good on the display shelf. :)

I may try powering the B units at some point. When I talked to collectibles today customer service about it a couple years ago when I first got them, they referred me to Bachmann customer service. Thats where I got "Lubricate the motor, etc."

Murfling

rocknblues

That explains alot. I think the Locomotives are weak, and why they weight the B Units so heavy makes no sense. I will power up the B Unit because I dont want to put it on a shelf. We have the Green Bay Christmas Village and would like to run the train during the Christmas season. I am doing a 4x8 layout and my Athearn pulling  7 heavyweight passenger cars will lap the Bachmann A&B Unit by themselves. Thank you for your input, it really helps me.

bobparki

"Anybody else have similar problems with the sets made by Bachmann?"  Yes I have.  The Bachmann item no. 60202 HO FT B Unit DCC.  Two of these units were "bad" out of the box.  The noise they made and the speed they ran was just as you described.  The new A unit was twice as fast and strong as both of the new B units.  After about four hours of "tinkering" I finally got them running as fast and strong as the A unit.  Indivdually, they can easily pull more than 20, 40 foot cars.  The problem was indeed lubrication.  But it took a lot more then one drop and I for sure can not tell you exactly where the problem was.  But both Bs are now fixed and are running very strong.  I agree it should not be this way for a new product.  Fortunately I'm retired now and have the time.  Good luck, Bob.   

rocknblues

Thank you Bob, I will get into the tinkering part here soon. Its just that I am new to the hobby, and was a bit afraid to pull the shells off. But I was having a bit of trouble with a light on another loco. So I slowly indulged, and I noticed the light contact wasnt making contact, so its fixed and it was fun to accomplish a problem. I will be digging into this F7A soon. I have been busy building a mountain/tunnel for my layout, so I havent had much time to tinker on the loco yet. Thank you for your advice.