News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

log car

Started by bob kaplan, March 26, 2008, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Bachmann's Large Scale log cars do not come with air-brake cylinders-rigging etc. since most prototypically the would not have had them...i think.  i was wondering if protypes log car might have had air brake rigging in some cases?

Thank for your help.
bob

Lawrie

The West Side lumber co certainly used air as did the Swayne Lumber co from whom the bought the first of thier long skels, the AMS 1:20.3 skels models have air modelled on them

GovB

Bob, Lawrie,

This is a great site for logging in the West & Northwest.

http://www.steaminthewoods.com/index.html

I found it very interesting. Lots of info and photos on logging and equipment. Also Heisler, Climax, Willamette and Shay. Check out the Russel Wheel & Foundry Co., Log Car Catalog on the Manufacturer's Catalog page. Their cars were available with air and hand breaks. Maybe the Bach Man will give us some modeled after these in Large and On30 scales. Especially for those long and heavy loads :P.

I hope you find it as interesting as I did.

GovB

[attachment deleted by admin]
Happy Rails to You, GovB

soleman10

I believe in the eastern logging regions a lot of companies did away with the air brakes, as they were delicate and exposed on the skeleton log cars.  Rather than keep up maintenance on them, hand brakes were usually employed, although some had none whatsoever, which may be why most of the time you see the locomotive downgrade from the log train . 
Mike

bob kaplan

Thanks for the help all....It's appreciated.
bob

glennk28

Some years ago there was a "stretch" kit for the Bachmann skeleton log car.  Does anyone know if it is still available?  As I recall it was a resin casting about 3-4" long.   

Russ Miller

Quote from: glennk28 on March 30, 2008, 08:24:01 PM
Some years ago there was a "stretch" kit for the Bachmann skeleton log car.  Does anyone know if it is still available?  As I recall it was a resin casting about 3-4" long.   
I resin cast my own a few years ago.

Russ Miller

Russ Miller

Quote from: glennk28 on March 30, 2008, 08:24:01 PM
I had to search for the name. The manufacture of the "stretch" kit WAS Nonesuch Car & Foundry. I think they stopped manufacturing in mid 2005. Here is a link to an old archived post on the subject: http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30491