News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

first generation spectrum

Started by jhuntcctx, February 04, 2011, 11:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhuntcctx

I have a first generation Spectrum Mountain that has been in the box for several years and it would not run when I put it on the track. I want to get it running and put DCC and/or sound in it. Does anyone know how the shell comes off? I downloaded an exploded diagram for the new models but it doesn't seem to be very clear about shell removal.

Thanks,

Jerry Hunt

razorback

anthor generation of trains and tracks

jonathan

Jerry,

I don't know the design differences between the first and second generation mountains.  However perhaps this will help. 

On my mountains, one removes the drawbar screw, which also hold the shell.

Next (or first--doesn't matter), pull the smokebox stanchions, or stays from the holes in the smokebox.  Swing them away.  They should pivot in the pilot.  Like this:

Up close, you can see that the wire just sits in little holes in the smokebox:

Perhaps the first generation locos were built a little differently.  I don't know.

Regards,

Jonathan

jhuntcctx

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Jerry

jhuntcctx

Disassembly was exactly as described. Spectrum's are well designed and come apart and go together easily. I am also working on an older Genesis Mike and after getting everything back together I found I still had 2 screws on the bench. Hmmm! Another question, the tender has a circuit board with an 8 pin plug. Does that mean this locomotive is DCC ready? I, fortunately have found the original box and paper work but there is no mention of DCC (or a date). I know (think) I bought this at least 8 years ago when the only Hobby Shop in Corpus Christi went out of business. It has the rubber band drive. I don't know if Spectrum still uses this type of drive.

Jerry

ACY

By rubber band. do you mean belt drive? Anyway, an 8-pin socket present indicates it is DCC ready and you can use a decoder that has a 8-pin plug on the end of its harness.

jhuntcctx

Yes, the belt drive. Club members call it a "rubber band" drive even though it's not a rubber band. We call anything that is not geared a rubber band. Glad to hear that it is probably DCC ready. The motor appears to be isolated. Now all I have to do is figure out why it is not running in DC mode even though it was when I put it in the box several years ago when I converted my home "layout" (loosely used term). I took it apart and all the wires look good. None broken. I just burnt up a TCS A6x in a Walthers diesel locomotive (yes, the motor was isolated and the decoder was wired correctly so I don't know what happened other than it looked like a steam locomotive running down the track) so while I'm on a roll, I think I will put a decoder in it and see what happens. Maybe I can have smoke without actually having to buy a smoke generator unit. Model railroading is fun.

Jerry

jonathan

Jerry,

If you could describe any symptoms, perhaps one of us could figure out what your Mountain needs in the way of TLC.  I happen to have a fondness for this loco.  Some even consider it one of the best Bachmann ever made.

On the track, does it light?  Is there a hum or whir?  If totally dead, perhaps there is a wire loose between the tender and the locomotive.  The connector plugs need to be thoroughly seated, or the loco will not run or respond in any manner.

I'm sure it needs a little light lubrication, but that shouldn't stop something from happening when power is put to the rails.

Regards,

Jonathan

jake_iv

Jerry - I know it sounds trite and I don't mean it to be mean spirited or anything like that - but is the "dummy plug" in the 8 pin plug in the tender?  Without the dummy plug or jumpers in the female plug you won't get any juice to the motor.  If it has been 8 years or so, you (or a helper) might have tried to put DCC in it back when and forgot the dummy plug.

I've seen a couple of "DCC Ready"  that just had jumpers in the female plug instead of a dummy plug.  If yours is one of those there might be a loose connection or maybe the jumper is in the wrong holes.

Jake