News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing lettering from Bachmann tenders II

Started by NevinW, February 26, 2007, 08:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

Last night I tried to remove the lettering from a Bachmann medium vanderbilt tender.  Tried eraser- no effect.  Tried Solvaset - no effect.  Tried acetone - very slight effect.  This stuff is impervious.  They ought to coat the underside of the space shuttle with whatever is used to letter these tenders.  Any other suggestions?  -  Nevin

Virginian

"What could have happened... did."

Bill Baker

As brought out on another thread....stay away from break fluid.
Bill

SteamGene

I bought a all eraser pencil and use that to remove Bachmann steam locomotive lettering.  It works like that Ogden Nash poem about catsup:
"When first you ope the ketchup bottle,
First a little and then a lottle."
Never tried it on the "medium" Vandy, though.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

barrowsr

NevinW,

I would avoid the use of acetone on plastic - unless you are using it as a glue to weld two pieces together.  It will melt plastic, not to mention any finish upon it.  There are many different plastics and paint out there that no one chemical works for all.  When all other methods failed - I've resorted to 600 - 800 grit sandpaper used with soapy water and a sanding stick.  If you're careful you can sand away the paint and leave the base color behind.  You will see where the lettering used to be due to the tiny scratches left behind but that should disapear with the application of a new decal and dulcoat.

Robin

brad

I just repainted a 10 wheeler. I actually just used a new #11 blade and CAREFULLY scraped the paint off. I managed to remove the Southern logo and numbers on the tender and loco with only one minute scratch  The paint is very brittle and flakes off quite easily. There was a little paint left around the rivets but it came off easy with a fine brass brush I use for distressing wood. After repaint and new decals CN 1278 is ready to roll.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Phantomstrike

I just took the lettering off two Vanderbilt, a box and an axiliary tender last night an d relettered them today.  I used this llight blue stuff in a bottle. It had a mild abrasive and after letting it soak for about 15 minutes I used a Q- Tip to ( in a circular motion ) lightly rub the lettering off. Does leave a slight gloss spot but after setting new letters,some dull coat ( Flat or simi Flat )  will seal and even out the rest of the decal so only the lettering shows.  Good Luck

uncbob

Steel wool 0000 the entire side and then spray light coat gloss black sides only
Reletter
Spray dullcote