Main Menu

Forney

Started by Frisco, April 05, 2008, 11:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

;D Hi , does any one know if the forney can do 22" radius curves . Thanks

the Bach-man

Dear Frisco,
Yes, it can. I've run them on the Riley's Run display with no problem.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

railtwister

Hello Frisco,

I have one of the Forneys with factory sound, which I run on our Florida Renegades On30 modular layout that has mostly 24" minimum radius, but also has SOME 22" radius curves in the Wye section, and it seems to do just fine. If you put your tracks down carefully, making sure the rails are level and curves are fair & true, you should be OK. Like any situation where you are operating close to the edge of the envelope, everything else will need to be "just right" to avoid problems. Also, if you can find the space to use even small easements on your 22" curves, you'll be better off. The Forney (especially the sound version) is one of Bachmann's sweetest locos to date, but because of the long overhang from it's drivers to the rear coupler, it doesn't like abrupt changes in the vertical level of the rails, so lay your track grades carefully.

Enjoy,
Bill

rayport

I agree that any changes either horizontal or vertical need to be very smooth or you will experience and dramatic illustration of the principle of levers.

I have another strange experience with my Forney. With the supplied decoder it will start at speed step 3 of 14, 6 of 28, or 1 of 128. I have never before had 128 step settings start at a lower ss than a 28 step setting. Also if I install a TCS decoder it will start at ss 1 with CV2 at 0 and giver very smooth control - except for the light which is permanently on. I wish Bachmann would give detailed instructions on programming their Decoder - normal efforts seem to be over-ruled by the rest of the electronics  bachmann instal in the engine.