News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Nickel Plate info request

Started by hgcHO, April 06, 2008, 12:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

Can any one give general information on  Nickel Plate ?   I am being given a box car with # 16425 which is just a number but the history or background on Nickel Plate would be nice to know.

Thanks in advance

HGC

Conrail Quality

The Nickel Plate was techincally named the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, but that name was rarely used otherthan on legal documents. It was absorbed into the Norfolk & Western in 1964.

Here's the link to the Nickel Plate Road Historical & Technical Society; as much Nickel Plate info as you'll ever want to know.
http://nkphts.org/history.html
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

hgcHO

Excellent - Thank you Conrail Quality, Right On Information.

HGC

RAM

Have you ever wondered what it would have been like if The Nickel Plate would have merged with the Norfolk & Western back in the steam days.

SteamGene

For one thing, they still might be all steam....  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

sour rails

Quote from: SteamGene on April 07, 2008, 10:14:08 AM
For one thing, they still might be all steam....  :D
Gene

What a nice laugh! Gene.  However, whenever I get enough space for a layout, I'm going to freelance the NKP in relatively modern times.  By doing so, I'll have to document my version of "history."
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

ta152h0

they still be using " dampflokomotiven "  ? with brass hats ?

Woody Elmore

The Nickel Plate Road got it's nickname from Cornelius Vanderbuilt, owner of the New York Central. He was interested in buying the railroad but when he heard the high asking price he is reported as asking if the railroad was "nickel plated."

sour rails

Quote from: Woody Elmore on April 08, 2008, 02:10:59 PM
The Nickel Plate Road got it's nickname from Cornelius Vanderbuilt, owner of the New York Central. He was interested in buying the railroad but when he heard the high asking price he is reported as asking if the railroad was "nickel plated."

That is not what the history page of the nkphts says.  Anyways, I read a book once that one chapter was all about Vanderbuilt.  It even said that his rail service reached St. Louis by purchasing the Nickel Plate.  It may have been Cornelius' son that actually bought it, it has been a while since I read that book.  With it's financial management, we might as well say that their rails were made of nickel.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

SteamGene

I've heard the Vanderbilt quote, too.  Urban legends preceded the internet by hundreds of years.  No telling which story is the correct one, but I've heard the Vanderbilt story more frequently. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

danmerkel

Actually, the name Nickel Plate has several different theories for its origin.  They are covered in various discussions in at least three different books that I've read.

If you are really serious about Nickel Plate information, look for "The Nickel Plate Story" by John Rehor.  It is the definitive history of the NKP.  The book is out of print but can be had if you look around some.  I saw one not too long ago go for about $30 on Ebay.  It is considered to be one of the best written railroad histroy books and is a "must have" for anyone serious about the Nickel Plate.

dlm

hgcHO

Thanks, all above, for your input and dlm will look for the book.  By the way I got my box car 'Nickel Pate' with 'DCC uncoupling' installed and it works really fine.  I will review DCC uncoupling in another thread.

HGC

Redtail67

hgcHO

Looking forward to your review of DCC uncoupling. I really know nothing of DCC just a basic very basic understanding. trying to read all I can before I attempt to use it.

Redtail67

Rickmartin

I've also heard those quotes and I believe another one might have occured when several railroad tycoons were gathered together. One made light of the NKP's size since it didn't have as much trackage as the larger roads to which the owner replied something to the effect that "yes but my railroad is just as wide as yours" (4', 8.5") Rick Martin
PRR Man