News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

help...basic 101 question

Started by train kid, April 06, 2008, 02:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train kid

this is a really basic question, but as one who was very active with trains as a kid in the late 60's and 70's, I am lost now.

I had a basic setup for my 3 year old (a large oval). I figured I would add switches, so I put 2 switches (4 total) on either side of the oval which form an oval inside of the oval.

My problem is this; when the train passes the power strip and reaches the switches, the engine dies (no power). I am really not sure how to hook the switches up to the power pack as I lost the packaging and consequntly have no power to the inner oval. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks in advance.

kevin2083

Try putting some feeder wires to the inside oval. Be sure to check the polarity.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

RAM

switches, I think you mean turnouts.  Some turnouts are power routing, some are not.  It sounds like your are not, and you will need to run power to each track.  As Kevin said, Make sure that you keep the polarity the same.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: train kid on April 06, 2008, 02:33:12 PM
this is a really basic question, but as one who was very active with trains as a kid in the late 60's and 70's, I am lost now.

I had a basic setup for my 3 year old (a large oval). I figured I would add switches, so I put 2 switches (4 total) on either side of the oval which form an oval inside of the oval.

My problem is this; when the train passes the power strip and reaches the switches, the engine dies (no power). I am really not sure how to hook the switches up to the power pack as I lost the packaging and consequntly have no power to the inner oval. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks in advance.

Check out the NMRA site for beginners electrical questions.

http://www.nmra.org/beginner/wiring.html

Pacific Northern