3rd party Sound and Control product installs for the K27

Started by StanAmes, April 07, 2008, 03:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanAmes

Back in December Bachmann asked if I could assist with some installation documents for various 3rd party control and sound systems.  The first drafts were completed in early January.  The time since was spent in coordinating the installation write-ups with the various manufacturers and waiting for the Bachmann WWW site to stabilize to a point where the WWW master could load them.

To access the K27 installation documents please click on the “Product Reference” tab at the top of the page.

Then from the Product Reference page go to the Manuals tab, K27 manuals, Sound and control Products.  This will bring up the page for the electronic installations.

Scroll down to the type of install you desire and click on the hyperlink for the product information you want.

The responsibility for ensuring the installation document is correct rests with the manufacturer of the 3rd party equipment, so for any questions you need to check with them.  I have personally done the installs listed to check them out.

There have been a lot of changes since these pages were first written.

ESU â€" Their adaptor board was shown in Nuremburg and has since been plugged into a K27.  I have not yet touched the actual board (will next week), but ESU reports that the board can control all functions and the integrated sound system works without the need for any additional modifications.

RCS â€" RCS has shown their new plug-in board at the ECLSTS.  It also allows the ability for a direct plug in Phoenix P5.  This installation has been published several times on the board.  At last check Philadelphia was waiting for a PDF version to update the older one now on the site.

AirWire900 â€" This was one of the first installations that Roger completed back in December.  The installation document was sent to CVP for review.  They indicated that they desired Bachmann to send them a locomotive so they could check out the install.  Not sure what the status of the review is.  The installation is rather straightforward.  The key element is to follow the CVP recommendations for a normal install by hooking the battery directly to the P5.

Aristo-Craft â€" Aristo-Craft has a plug and play board but no longer has this board in the market, so an installation document was not completed.  Aristo-Craft has announced a new RC plug-in product, but the date for release or characteristics are unknown.

Digitrax â€" Digitrax has discontinued their plug and play product. A replacement has as of this writing not been announced.

I am sorry but I will be off-line for a few weeks so I will not be able to answer questions till I return

Stan Ames
www.tttrains.com/largescale

calenelson

Bachmann and Mr. Ames.....

We've been waiting since December for the install review/how-to...here they are... and RCS is still the only provider of a "True" Plug and Play device to operate the Bachmann K...

Three Cheers for Tony Walshman, Dave Goodson and Don Sweet!

cale

Tony Walsham

Stan,
Perhaps you should read this forum a little more closely.

I have provided links to updated pdf instructions for both the RCS and EVO versions of the PnP-3 here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,5085.0.html

Please feel free to link the pdf files to the Bachmann K-27 after market control systems installation advice.

BTW, why is the identical installation of the Lenz DCC decoder shown twice?
Once under DCC and once under battery R/C?
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

StanAmes

We've been waiting since December for the install review/how-to...here they are... and RCS is still the only provider of a "True" Plug and Play device to operate the Bachmann K...
Cale

RCS does indeed have an excellent PNP product for the socket in the K27 for its RC/battery users.

There are two others currently in the market and a few others expected.

For DCC/Sound users the ESU board is a true plug and play board, that has full access to all the K27 sound and lighting functions.

For DC, DCC, and RC users the QSI board is also a plug and play board but at the present time is only designed for the lights, motor control and sound.  The other lighting functions are accessed through the switches behind the smokebox door.

The QSI board is currently the only board designed for all three communities.

Most QSI users use the calibrated automatic chuff.  This is one of the best auto chuffs in the market and was designed this way because most Aristo-Craft locomotives do not have a sound cam.  Myself I prefer the optical triggered chuff.  A simple inversion transistor is currently required for the QSI PNP board for those users that want to use the optical chuff.

Hope that helps.

Stan

calenelson

OK, so ESU says their product will "control all functions" for DCC, we'll take their word on that...and I stand corrected.

but adding a transistor to operate as built doesn't count in my book...to me plug-n-play equals just that...you plug it in, then you play. 

and while I have you "why is this Lenz "Gold Maxi Decoder"apparently mounted to a piece of "Perf Board" and haphazardly shown in a mis-aligned position on the K-board--does it mount that like that"  See Page 4 of Lenz install for reference to photo in question.