HO-USRA 0-6-0 ATSF with Slope Back Tender by Bachmann

Started by Redtail67, April 08, 2008, 11:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redtail67

I got this little engine just a few weeks ago from my daughter. It was dirty  and was missing some parts and others were broken. After contacting Bachmann on the 215 number I ordered the parts and recieved them today.

I had taken the little engine apart and cleaned it up and when the parts arrived today I started the reassembly of it.

All went well and when I placed it on the track the DC motor was running full out and headlight was blazing. However, it did not move.

After a close look I could see that the driver wheels ( number 3 axel) was not turning. The bottom of this engine has an inspection slot that lets you view the gear on the number 3 axel. It was spinning but the wheels were not turning.

I took the engine back apart and saw that the wheels were pressed onto the plastic axel/gear and that they had no slot or groove to hold them on the axel. They relied soley on a tight fit to spin with the gears.

The holes must be worn and does not allow a tight friction fit of the parts and results in the spinning of the gear and not the wheels. They feel tight are not sloppy but the fit is not tight enough.

My question to those on this board is:

1. Do they make a glue of some type that would hold the wheels to the plastic gear and not allow it to spin without turning the driver wheels?

2. If they do where can I get it?

I also have a coupling on another F Unit that spins on the motor shaft the same way. If I could attach the palastic to the metal shafts semi permanat but tight that would solve these problems.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Redtail67

rogertra

You might have some success with a thick AC type (Crazy) glue.  You'll need to thoughly clean any oils and grease away from the gear and axle before you try the glue.

Sadly, it seems that you have an old loco from the "Botchmann" era.  :(

The nickname says it all.

Yampa Bob

You need to disassemble the entire wheel/gear assembly so you can lay it over some paper towels.  Clean the axle shaft and gear with 91% alcohol.  They must be clean and dry.

The center of the axle may or may not have a splined area. Position the gears in the center of the axles.  Trial fit to see that the gears won't rub the sides of the castings. Take it out again and lay on the towels.

Get a small bottle of commercial thin (instant) CA glue and a bottle of spray accelerator. Apply a couple of drops of  CA to the junction of gear and shaft on both sides, let it wick in for 5 to 10 seconds, then spray with accelerator, repeat the procedure.  The gear should now be secure.

Don't use the hardware store crazy glue, get the full strength like Great Plains,  Tower,  Zap or similar from a hobby shop.  Also, don't let the glue get into the teeth of the gears.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Redtail67

Thanks Rogertra and Yampa Bob for your replies.

I will give that a try and see what happens.

Rogertra, it does not seem to one of the best...but I just hate to have something that will work but lacks some minor part or fix.

I was afraid to use something like crazy glue for fear of really screwing it up and then not being to take it apart.

I have a drive problem with a loose coupler on the DC motor that will not turn even though the motor spins like crazy and the front trucks are spinning.

So I will use your ideas to get them up and going .

Thanks

Redtail67

Yampa Bob

As long as the gears are not split there has to be a way to secure them on the axle shaft.  If the CA doesn't hold it, you might try roughing up the sides of the gear and the axle and form a bead of 6 minute epoxy on it.

The key is having enough room in the gear case for any build up of glue or other fasteners.  I wish you lived closer, I bet I could fix that sucker, one way or the other. LOL.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.