News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Spectrum 3 truck Shay

Started by Blind Bruce, April 07, 2008, 05:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blind Bruce

I just received my Shay yesterday. It was ordered last novemder by a reputible sound installer. He installed a Micro Tsunami with the "light logging" label. I must admit, the sound is very accurate as is the running ability. HOWEVER, the thing will not pull itself around my 19" radius test oval. The wheels just slip and it stands still, chugging and clanking away. I know these Shays should pull a few cars upa  decent grade so what could be wrong? I also have trouble placing it on the track with all the U joints intact. The rear one separates and I need to start all over. Could the installer have reassembled it wrong? If the front and rear trucks were interchangeable, then the wheels would be fighting each other and thus have little traction but this is not the case (I think) What say you?
Bruce in the Peg

WoundedBear

The Shays and the Climaxes were prone to cracking/splitting gears on the drive line. Start at the engine and check the forward and rear drive lines.....all the way to the trucks. Take note where gears and yokes are press fit to the drive shaft. 90% of Shay drive troubles are in these external gears.

They do pull well, when they are operating properly. Grades of 4% and 10 log cars are easily handled by only one Shay.

Look yours over closely and see if you can spot the problem. Then contact Bachmann's service department.

Sid

Blind Bruce

I turned it upside down on my foam cradle and touched the track wires to the wheels. Wow, the front and center truck only drive one axle each and the rear truck wheels wouldn't turn at all. A quick call to Bachmann to verify their address and off to the post office I went. $30.42 later it was sent.
How good are Bachmann at returning a repaired loco in a short time?
Bruce in the Peg

WoundedBear

Give it 6 weeks.....shouldn't be much longer than that.....the post-Xmas rush should be over by now.

Sid

sparkyjay31

Quote from: WoundedBear on April 10, 2008, 10:30:18 AM
Give it 6 weeks.....shouldn't be much longer than that.....the post-Xmas rush should be over by now.

Sid

I agree.  I snet my 2-8-0 Connie in on 2/15 and received it's replacement on 3/25. 
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!