News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track layouts

Started by John Honeck Sr, April 24, 2008, 06:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Honeck Sr

I have many layout plans using Atlas track. Using Bachmann E-Z track can I duplicate these layouts? Are there publications showing different layouts, that include electrical connections, block assignments, etc. using E-Z tracks and other equipment? If yes please list where I can obtain them.

Yampa Bob

John
Most Atlas layouts can be duplicated with EZ track, with minor limitations.  EZ track does not have the short pieces, such as 3/4" through 2".  The EZ turnouts have a different geometry regarding the divergent angles. 

However EZ track is compatible with Atlas Code 100, so you can do "mix and match" using Atlas pieces, adding some type of roadbed to fill in the gaps underneath the track. Alternately you can cut short pieces of EZ track with a fine toothed zona  or xacto saw.  Atlas makes a special saw for this purpose. You'll lose the plastic lock tabs but the rail joiners will keep the tracks in line, just like non-roadbed track. If you cut the track, the plastic under the rail ends will have to relieved to allow space for the rail joiners, which is easily done with a Dremel and thin abrasive disc or a thin file.

EZ track only has one crossing, 30 degree, which is the centerpiece for a basic figure 8, again you can use Atlas parts for other angles. 

If you're planning a large layout, EZ track has an advantage of larger curve sections up to 35.50" radius.  Best thing is to get the Bachmann catalog which has a listing of available pieces and turnouts.

Wiring information is found in separate books, several are available from Atlas and other publishers such as Kalmbach and Carstens.  They may have information on wiring blocks.  The procedure is not too complicated, just isolate sections of track and sidings with plastic rail joiners, and wire separate feeds through switches to the various blocks.  You might relate this to light switches in your house.

You can have all the switches conveniently located at your control station, even have indicator lights to tell you which block is on.  Some modelers make up a track board similar to a real railroad routing center.  Turnouts switches can also be located at the control station. 

If you plan on using DCC, you can still have the blocks for better electrical conductivity around the track, just turn all the blocks on.  Having blocks also makes it easier to isolate and trouble shoot open or shorted sections.

One of our members, Jim Banner, will soon be posting a link to his site that will have information about wiring turnout signal lights for visual reference of turnout direction. Keep checking back for the link.

The only objection to the EZ track is slightly more noise due to the hollow under the track sections.  This is easily resolved by glueing or taping sections of Woodland Scenics N scale foam roadbed under the tracks.  The 3mm thick X 1-1/4" wide foam is almost a perfect fit.

Homasote makes an excellent base for track as it will hold track nails securely.  I strongly advise against using foam insulation board as found in building supply stores, as it is highly flammable and extremely toxic, which is why building codes only approve it for exterior application.  Not that you asked, but wanted to mention it anyway.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

John Honeck Sr

Thank You for the info, it was very helpful.

Yampa Bob

You're welcome.  As you assemble your layout, if you have any questions come on back and ask, that's what the board is all about.

You might want to check back on this thread as well, other members may have some suggestions or comments.  They are all eager and willing to help, each with special skills and expertise. 

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.