News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to G Guage

Started by patzwaldb, April 11, 2008, 03:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patzwaldb

Hi,

Bob here in Leavenworth, KS.  I have a 20 year old Xmas (Bachmann) train that I gave to my sister for a Xmas present.  She has now moved into a smaller house and guess what.  I have Lionel and HO downstairs but this is a new experience.  I actually have a Christmas trolley and handcar that have never run that I purchased at the same time.  I set them out at Xmas but haven't purchased any track. 

I am excited and trying to figure out exactly what to do.  I am sure I will set it up this weekend and run it around the living room.  Long term I may want to start an outdoor setup.  I may also do a ceiling layout in the rec room.

Is there any preventative maintenance I should do prior to firing up the system.  Is there anything special I should know.

I have a little track with the set.  Is all of the track interchangeable?  I know the local shop has track but I don't think it is Bachmann. 

Lionel Bob

Paul W.

Hi Bob,
Welcome to large scale RR'ing! Your first answer is NO, not all track is interchangeable. Bachmann track is hollow and ONLY for indoor use. If put outside, it WILL rust, and quick. For outdoor layouts, you can use brass, aluminum, or stainless steel.
As for your engine, make sure you lube it. Bachmann makes a full line of oils and grease, but whatever you use, make sure it's plastic compatable.

Welcome and good luck
Happy Steamin'

Paul