News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

connie 2-8-0

Started by spla13, April 04, 2008, 02:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spla13

i ordered a connie from trainworld at a steal of 256.31 with shipping. i did not know that there was a problem with the drive. i would guess that they do or they wouldnt be selling them at this price. i had to send my k back to bachmann and with my luck i will with the connie as well. if there is something out there that is broken or messed up in some way i will end up with it. i would be very happy if it actualy runs. also i was told that the cupler height on the k and connie as well as the new porter is the same? if not what cupler do i use for the 0-4-0? i would like to use all bachmann as i do not use kd. also will the k doghouse fit on the connie? does bachmann offer a plow for the connie? thank you. bob.

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
Some 2-8-0s need to have the motor mount screws tightened. There is no other issue of which I am aware, and once the screws are tight you'll have no problem. The couplers will all mate; simply choose a constant height. The doghouse might fit, but you'll have to do your own snowplow adaption.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

spla13

all the couplers will mate yes  , but  i model 1-20.3 and the connies  couplers are to low as well as the new porter to meet up with the new cars and engines and this is fine. my question was what does bachmann or anyone offer out there in a screw driver replacement to get em higher??? i called bachmann today to find out- this is what i was told by the first person- boy why do you want to couple your trains togeather?  he transfered me to bill and bill said the guy that might know should be walking through sometime today. he also said that nobody knows there and i tend to think he might be right! mr bachmann - you should run for office you have a nice way of just saying ennoff as to not get in truble but not realey giving any solid answer. i do thank you though ,and appresiate this site.  (i need help spelling) bob.

Jon D. Miller

Bob,
The couplers do mate up on all the Bachmann equipment.

If I understand, you want to run the Spectrum 1:20.3 rolling stock with  the locomotives mentioned. In each package of extra items packed with each car you will find offset couplers.  These couplers drop the coupler height to that of cars equipped with truck mounted couplers. 

By using these offset couplers the 1:20.3 rolling stock coupler height will match the locomotives you mention.

Now, if you want to raise coupler height to that of the couplers that come factory mounted, i.e., the straight shank, that your Spectrum cars have from the factory, then Kadee offers the couplers and draft gear boxes needed to raise the height.  I understand from your post you do not want to use Kadee couplers.  So that leaves one choice. Change the 1:20.3 Specturm cars to the offset shank couplers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzj4SmT87I0

This is a short You Tube video that shows a consist of 1:20.3 Spectrum cars running with 1:20.3 cars that use truck mounted couplers.  In this case the 1:20.3 Spectrum freight cars and the K-27s have had their rear couplers replaced with the dropped, offset couplers.

All the the Bachmann locomotives you mention, I have, and they will all mate when the dropped, offset couplers are used where appropriate.

So you have two choices to match coupler height.  Use the offset drop couplers, where appropriate, or change out your equipment to Kadee couplers to raise coupler height on your locomotives and other rolling stock to match that of the the Spectrum 1:20. 3 rolling stock and the K-27.

Either solution should solve the situation you have with minimum effort. 

Not really that though to figure out the coupler height issue.

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

CCSII

If you call their office on Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri you might have better luck. Saturdays are rough in some offices.

glennk28

Use the Bachmann couplers as used on the K-27, and use the Kadee height gauge.  Bachmann's couplers on all the new 1:20.3 cars is the same box and mount as the Kadee #830.  The spur at the "back" end of the Kadee gauge is the height for the moiunting surgace for the coupler box.  One opr two #4 sheet metal screws will do to mount the box.  If you want a really nice looking coupler for the front of the loco, especially, the Accucraft knuckle couplers will mate with the Bachmann and look 300% better.    gj

Dave

I recentley purchased a Connie from USA only to find the final drive gear was broken. I have E'mailed the Bachmann service Dept but have had no response . Have just sent another E'mail to Bachmann hoping to get a reply as to the possibility of getting a gear for the Connie. Hope somebody can help me here as it is a pity to see a great Loco sitting in the roundhouse unable to move, considering it was Brand new.

Keep up the great work Bachmann

Dave Cole
                          Waikino
                           New Zealand