Anyone watch the History Channel program on the History of model Railroads?

Started by Redtail67, March 13, 2008, 11:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redtail67

I watched it at 2:00 A.M. this morning. As one who is brand spanking new to model railroads, I found it very interesting.

It dealt mostly with Lionel and their competitors when first founded and then the continued history of Lionel with mention of others.

They showed how Lionel had the better mouse trap that solved so much of the wiring problems by having the 3rd rail.

The major competitors were out of Germany. The First World War and the banning of German Products as well as American predjudice against anything German allowed Lionel to take the lead in sales and keep it for a long time. This saved them from bankrupsy also.

Then as times changed how HO scale started taking the lead in sales. This happened because the cost of 1 engine was more than a rfridgerator and in the depression very few had the money to spend on a hobby so size was reduced to bring down cost and attract a new era in model train history that was strong untill the mid 1950.

If was a very informative  show and it showcased some of the finest sets ever produced.

The earliest engines and car sets they showed were real beauties and they showed one that was considered the most detailed ever produced by Lionel and said it would easily bring $30,000 at a auction. Boy it was a real example of craftsmanship.

If you saw it what did you think of it?

Redtail67

TrampTrader

Sorry to have missed that program. I'm new here also and would have loved to have seen it. I'm sure they will run it again, and then I will be able to see it . Thanks for the info.

Pete

john tricarico

the show is called VOYAGES on  the HISTORY INTERNATIONAL CHANNEL
its been repeated many times here in new york
it pretty much covers lionel trains and does cover some
of the early days of the model train industry

overall a pretty good show

john t  brooklyn ny

TrampTrader

Thanks John ! I live in Florida, and will try to search it out on TV down here.

Pete

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

BIG BEAR

I found VOYAGES has 2 train related shows, I have both set to DVR this week.
        Thanks for the heads up on the programming.

Enjoy,
                      Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

john tricarico

i believe the VOYAGES series
has about 10 shows about the railroads
trains in war , circus trains, fast trains , train wrecks
to mention a few
the VOYAGE series covers ships and automobiles
enjoy watching

john t  brooklyn ny

BIG BEAR

I have watched, or still on DVR 6 different train related Voyages shows,I wish I hadn't missed the one on model railroading, but the others are very well done and quite informational.
     So thanks for the tip on the show.

Enjoy,
            Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.