News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Video of F Units

Started by prebres, April 11, 2008, 06:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prebres

hey everyone:

Here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SepDHdXc3dAto video I shot today of my layout.

The video shows a consist of two Sante Fe F units pulling a cut of cars around the layout in my "train-room" The layout is an L shape using two 4x8 sheets of MDF. It sits 48" off the floor. I am using the Bachmann Ez-Command DCC system. Any comments are welcome.

Yampa Bob

I plan to download the video so I can watch it later.  My slow dialup doesn't allow the streaming, but I have software to convert it to .avi.   Will get back to you.

Later....Very nicely done. When the two trains came around the corner I thought "this is going to be tight"  LOL  .  The speed was just right.  How long is the track for the entire route?  It took 37 seconds for once around, curious about the scale speed.

Thanks so much for sharing it with us, I love seeing other's videos.

By the way, dialup users need to get the video downloader, it's great. Only took 5 minutes to download the video and convert it.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

prebres

Thanks for the nice comments Yampa Bob. The outer loop is 32.25 feet. That would be about 2806 scale feet or just over a half scale mile. Are my calculations correct?

Yampa Bob

Using Ross Cain's formulas for actual and scale speed:

32.25 feet in 37 seconds = 52 feet per minute X 60 divided by 5280 = .59 MPH actual speed.  You could comfortably walk along beside it.

For scale speed:  1/88 (a constant) X 52 X 87 = 51 MPH, which seems pretty realistic.   Since the constant is close to HO scale ratio, you can do a rough estimate by simply thinking feet per minute is pretty close to scale speed.  In this case 52 feet per minute is close to 51 MPH.

http://www.spec2000.net/rr_site_pages/rr_scale_dfn.htm

I really did hold my breath when the other freight emerged on the left end, it first appeared as though it was merging on to the main line.  Can you take another video from the left end?  Anyway the timing was perfect, I bet you really enjoy the DCC.

I have the video on my puter in .avi format, I watched it several times.  Nice scenics
too.

A little tip:  Your video was 37 seconds, making the file size about 1 meg.  That is perfect for us slowpokes on slow dialup.  Many of the videos on Youtube are 5 minutes long, there is no way I can view or download them.  Better to have several small ones than a huge monster.  Thanks for keeping it short.

Bob

prebres

Thanks again Yampa Bob, I'll put some more clips up tonight after the little guy goes to sleep.

Yampa Bob

Great, I'll be back later looking for the links
Bob

prebres

Yampa Bob

That one is pretty cool also, I liked the other one a little better. Around 40 to 50 seconds seems like a good length, at least for me.

I don't know a thing about making videos, I just enjoy watching them.

Bob

prebres

Here is another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpEMDmJ_t6s

This one has no F units in it though. Hope you all enjoy it.

Again, any and all comments are welcome.

grumpy

Good stuff . It is a very good demonstration of Bachman EZcommand . The Video is just the right length for your layout.

Yampa Bob

The part I liked the most was toward the end up close, I could hear the rail clack.  I love that sound. I also like seeing the caboose going down the track.

Paul, how about a video of them each running in opposite directions, and meet on that close curve? 

Good job

Bob

prebres