News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmanns new loco-a diesel

Started by spla13, April 12, 2008, 03:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spla13

i hear from a very reliable source that bachmann is in the final stage of development and tooling for a large scale 1-20.3 G.E. U-50-B. production should start in early 2009. i asked why such a large and obscere loco and was told that because of the b-trucks it would run on 8 foot min. radious curves and the car body would be easy compared to other locos. i think this will be a big seller as long as the price is good. ill take one in s.p.!

petertoot

ok,you have the so called scoop,back it up with some proof,photos of prototype,as the other two do diesels of different models,sounds interesting,later,peter..

Paul W.

I guess they could be planning a diesel, but I personnally wouldn't think so. After the unpopularity of the center cab in 1:20, I just don't see them making another huge beast. They are great runners, and work out well for kitbashes, but when coupled to standard rolling stock, they are BIG.
Heck, they've been out of production for several years now, and warehouses are still trying to unload them!
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Hamish K

A large standard gauge diesel in 1:20.3 scale- what gauge is it meant to run on?

By Bachmann, who only make narrow gauge prototypes in Large Scale?

April Fools day was 11 days ago.

Hamish

Joe Satnik

Hmm.  Interesting thread. 

Here is a wiki link for the U50-B:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_U50

It is definitely a standard gauge prototype, so if you need F (1:20.3) standard gauge track products (70.64 mm) you would want to visit Don Nidday's site:

http://crofutandironcreek.com/

The model would be huge and require long, long radius curves.  It's unlikely that Bachmann would build it.  If you look at the original poster's profile, he registered just before April Fool's day.

If I may quote myself: "If it's too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride on or behind it."

http://www.stcroixrr.org/doc/scrr.information.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

glennk28

Using the figures mentioned, a more logical loco can be conjured up. 

GE--yes.
50 TON, not U-50.
SP--yes

All of this could add up to a GE 50-ton end-cab diesel as used on the SP narrow gauge in California's Owens Valley.  Second #1, known as the "Little Giant". 

it appeared in two different SP schemes, then went to Plaster City for US Gypsum.  Could be lettered for any of a number of possible or fantasy schemes.  I'd buy one in D&RGW--or possibly RGS--  (I have an On3 model on order with Righ Yoder--see his ads in the Gazette for pictures.)  gj

spla13

like i said- it will run on 8 foot radious- i dont know what elce  you want to hear. i have no photos, this is not public knolidge tell now. yes it will be a large loco. this is not an april fools joke. the person that told me about this loco is very high up at bachmann and does know what is going on.

Cascade Northern

Ummmm......what?  As previously said, Bachmann is narrow gauge and the GE U50 is standard gauge.  I do think a new diesel would be nice, but why this one?

This is even more outlandish than when news came that Bachmann was going to make a K-27!

glennk28

if  it is to be made in 1:20.3 scale, who is making track to run it on??  Up to now, Bachmann has remained with 3 foot narrow gauge in their 1:20.3 line.  I would think that any foray into F Scale would be with a more common loco such as a GP-9, or possibly utilizing the existing tooling, a GE 44-ton standard gauge switcher.  Further, Bachmann has repe4atedly said that they are staying out of the LS track market--referreing inquiries about #1 gauge track to the existing manufacturers.  gj

Besides--I don't theink that the market for F Scale Standard Gauge is that large.   gj

the Bach-man

Dear SPLA,
If we did such a diesel, on what would you run it? Forget radius, I'm talking gauge...
These predictions are quite interesting...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

spla13

dear mr. bachmann, i think you of all people know that this is a fact. i relize  that you have to at least act like your supprized but you know this is fact and not fiction. i talked to my source today because i also wonderd about track and this is what he said-it will run on bachmann,aristo,usa-any track you allready have. he said that it is not scale but a very good representation and miles from the 45 toner. as far as you can get he said. this will be something most of you will want. retail approx. 1700.00. good day.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Another link:

http://www.richyodermodels.com/rym_owens_bd.htm

Scroll down for historical SP #1 photos. 

I am surprised how good the color is in the old photos.  I am used to seeing faded color in shots from that era. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

tac

From what little I can glean from the internet this model might be around 44 inches long, or thereabouts.

How much it would cost to develop such a large and complex plastic monster is unclear, but I would hazard a best guess at around $2M for R & D and a first pull set of moulds.

If the examples shown by the recent publicised costings of the Aristocraft Dash 9 by Mr Polk - a model that is physically less than half the size/volume of the U50, it is my opinion that $2M might only be the starting price, given that China is now ramping up for equality in the monetary system.

I firmly bleeve that spla13's leg/tentacle/whatever has been very firmly pulled by his/her's/its 'source' at Bachmann - if such an event ever took place at all.

Chain jerkin'?

I think so.

spla13 =  a semi-literate Troll.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Superheater

Perhaps he meant a General Electric U5B. 

If the chosen prototype really was the SP#1 or its older US Gypsum 50 ton cousins (really 52 ton) either would be easily confused with a U5B; they are very similar animals.

John Fitch

altterrain

To quote P.T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute!"  :D

-Brian
President of