News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmanns new loco-a diesel

Started by spla13, April 12, 2008, 03:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superheater

If it were the U50, here's some photos of what it might look like, and on 8 foot curves to boot.

http://www.westcoastrailforums.com/view_topic.php?id=212&forum_id=49&jump_to=1545

John Fitch

JerryB

Quote from: Superheater on April 16, 2008, 07:49:01 PM
If it were the U50, here's some photos of what it might look like, and on 8 foot curves to boot.

http://www.westcoastrailforums.com/view_topic.php?id=212&forum_id=49&jump_to=1545

John Fitch

Thanks for the link. A unique, very nicely done model!

Those pictures don't quite show the actual situation: The OP's claimed scale of 1:20 is ~1.4 times bigger than that model's 1:29 scale. That means in every dimension: Length, width & height.

I don't know the actual dimensions of the prototype U50, but if that 1:29 U50 is 36" (86 scale feet) long, the poster's new Bachmann locomotive would be ~51" (or over 4') long. I don't think we'll see them running around the christmas tree on 45mm gauge R1 (~24" radius) track!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Greg Elmassian

Maybe Bachmann wants to get into 1:29? Bigger market than 1:20.3.

Go where the money is?

Regards, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

tac

John - many congratualtions on a very well-done project.  You are right to be proud of such a fine achievement.  What's next, Jawn Henry?

Best wishes

tac
www.ovgrs.orb

soleman10

Rumor has it that Bachmann is working on british steam outline in 1/29 for the UK market!  Is this true?  Could there be an A4 pacific in the works?  If so, would it be available to the american market as well?
Mike

Hamish K

In the UK Bachmann distributes Aristocraft trains. Aristocraft makes a 1/ 29 british diesel (the class 66) for Bachmann UK. Bachmann Industries (Bachmann in the USA) had no involvement in the project. I guess it is possible that Aristocraft might make a 1/29 steam loco for Bachmann UK. Of course this could  be just another baseless rumour.

The class 66 is not distributed by Bachmann in the USA, and as far as I know Aristocraft doesn't sell it either. Who knows about any new loco?  I suspect it would be up to Aristocraft, not Bachmann.

Hamish

vic

Interesting, I wonder about this one.

Now interestingly, their IS a 1/29 scale U-50 out there, it was built by a fellow named John Wagner who's a member on Mylargescale.com, and he brought the beasty with him to last years Big Train Show (I know cause I was there too) and their are pics of the beasty on the Del Oro Pacific layout, but this was a complete scratchbuild using Aristocraft FA1 blocks for the drive. I wonder if this model isnt part source of the rumor floating around?

These pics can be seen on the BTS website, under last years show pics.

Personally I would think Bachmann venturing into the 1/29 market, while not a bad idea, would be rather risky with such a rare unit, only 2 RRs used similar engines, SP and UP,  I doubt anyone would buy one in CSX paint but what do I know? Whoda think MTH would stick their necks out with the Triplex? So who knows, maybe theres some merit to a 1/29  scale U-50, I can tell you it was a tremendous hit at the show, but personally I prefered Johns other model he brought, namely an FP-45 currently under construction. Now that to me would have a FAR GREATER market appeal as their were several lines that ran them and the model looked really good.
I'll never buy either though, wrong scale, and way too big for my tiny layout.

OTOH if Mr B is developing a SP "Little Giant" all I can say is WOW, that would be cool! Save me from buying a USA S4 and kitbashing it into a narrow gauge dismal.

tac

Hamish K and soleman - Bachmann UK is part of Bachmann Europe, and is the distributor for Aristocraft all over that part of the world.

Please note that although the Class 66 was originally designed for British rails, is has been sold all over Europe and Scandinavia, and as such, can be seen most anywhere on the other side of the Atlantic from you.  Making such a model was an excellent marketing ploy by Aristocraft/Bachmann, and the result, I can tell you from personal experience, is an exquisitely-detailed and powerful model.  It has attracted all kinds of interests from folks who may have Aristocraft/USA Trains [also 1/29th scale], but have no interest whatsoever in British outline. 

The difference between the Aristocraft/Bachmann Class 66 and the Gauge 1 resin and brass kit is not only about $1000, but a whopping ten percent size increase too, and the two of them, side-by-side, look faintly ridiculous.

As for Bachmann producing ANY 1/29th models for the UK, this is, IMO, very unlikely, as they already have a goodly selection of ready-to-run brass models of steam locomotives in Gauge 1 - that is, 1/32nd scale.

These models are, again, made to the very highest standards of model engineering, and if I was to be into G1 British rails, I would have at least one of each by now.

The Gauge 1 fraternity here in UK, with a 60+ year old association of more than 2500 members, are a very conservative bunch in any case, and I should know, since I am one of them.  The arrival of 1/29th British stuff, in the face of opposition from the die-hard G1 movement, is therefore most unlikely.  In fact, Accucraft UK are about to spring forth with a whole scad of Gauge 1/1:32nd scale models in brass and plastic, including the A4 'Mallard', and I really think that Bachmann, doing the same thing in another scale, would be peeing up a rope.

tac
www.ovgrs.org 

charon

Dear Mr. TAC,
Please forgive this unknowing "yank", But I don't know what the British Class 66 looks like.  Could you post a pic of either the Bachmann 1/29 model or the prototype?
Thanks,
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

tac

Quote from: charon on April 27, 2008, 09:40:00 AMDear Mr. TAC, Please forgive this unknowing "yank", But I don't know what the British Class 66 looks like.  Could you post a pic of either the Bachmann 1/29 model or the prototype?  Thanks, Chuck

Dear Mr Chuck - here y'are....

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/images/reviews/bachmann-class-66-ews-32-725DS.jpg

Built by GM in the London Ontario shops, led to Hamilton Docks by a new Dash 9, and shipped over to Europe.  Around 300 or so in service now, and more to come of the improved DEBAG version.

Graders

tac
www.ovgrs.org

spla13

i dont think this is true. the guy i heard it from is now in jail for mail fraud and was cheating on his wife with niece.

altterrain

Not to gloat but repeating my previous comment -

To quote P.T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute!"   :D

-Brian
President of