Changing DCC CV values with analog DC

Started by James Thomas, February 03, 2007, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Thomas

I purchased a Precision Craft Models "DC Master Analog Control Module" to use with their On30 Galloping Goose.  I'm still in the "reading the instructions" phase.  On page 10 it states "The DCMaster can program any DCC CV using the DCC service mode direct programmimg."

I haven't tried it yet.  Does this mean I can use this controller to change CV values on Bachmann Tsunami equipped engines?  Has anyone tried using the DCMaster to change CVs?

This controller was only $50 Cdn; it would be teriffic if it does what I hope it does. 

Jim Banner

Good question.  I could not find which of the service mode programming types is supported by either the full blown Tsunami or the Bachmann special version.  Most decoders today support all three (direct, page and physical modes) as well as operation modes on the mainline.  Perhaps you should give Soundtraxx a call (and let us know the answer.)
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Steve Stockham

Yes, that one would be very good to know! Please keep us informed as to what you find out!

Hoople

I don't think you can change CVs  on DC with the Tsunami. I do know that if you spike the voltage on DC, you get the whistle.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

James Thomas

It works.  Precision Craft's DCMaster will change CV values on the Tsunami decoders.  This morning I successfully increased the exhaust rate on the Forney, selected a new whistle and reduced the exhaust volume on the Shay, reduced the whistle volume on the 2-8-0.  I am a happy camper.

This is a great device for us DCers.  No need to buy a DCC system to make adjustments to DCC sound equipped engines.

A couple things:  You must do the programming on a seperate track - or all your DCC engines will be affected. (The instructions point this out.)
I also noticed that different power packs produce variations in the sounds.  I programmed my engines using a Bachmann Spectrum power pack that came in an On30 set -- the chuff rate is much faster with this power pack compared to the MRC Controlmaster 20 I normally use.

WoundedBear

I'm really interested in this item, but.....I spoke to Precision Craft today and they say the device only works on Loksound decoders. I spoke with Bob Armitidge (sp?) in parts/service.

He claims it won't access other brands. You say it got into the Tsunami.....have you tried it on any other brand of decoder? Bachmann specifically, I guess.

Sid

James Thomas

I only tried it wiith Tsunami -- it worked very easily.  I would guess that Precision Craft only intended the device to work with their system and hasn't tried it with any other.  However, the instructions indicate that this system will allow access to any DCC CV values.

I don't have anything other than full-fledged Tsunami and Bachmann's Tsunami equipped locos to try -- it works on both.  I originally bought it to use with the Precision Craft Goose.  It is cheap enough to take a chance in my opinion.