News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old R/C Big Hauler questions

Started by shonan, April 18, 2008, 04:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shonan

We recently found an old R/C Big Hauler set at a garage sale and it looked complete but when we got it home it was missing the back battery door (where the coal would be put in) and I have learned that Bachmann doesn't provide parts anymore. Asked at the garage sale but they don't know where the back door is so I am thinking of making something up.

When I look into the battery compartment I see a small 4 prong connector socket just below where the batteries would fit. Anyone familiar with the original R/C's know what is supposed to plug in there?
This is not the 2 prong connector for the sound liink  to the coal car it is actually in the base of the batery compartment for reference.

I have put power to the leads to see if the engine will run but nothing happens so I am wondering if it is also missing some sort of control switch that plugs in here that is needed to run the train.

I spent a few hours going through any thread on this site with R/C in it as well as visited the mylargescale.com but could not find anything on this.

Any comments appreciated.

DB in BC Canada

Jim Banner

I seem to remember that the socket was for a rechargeable battery pack.  Applying 9 volts d.c. with the proper polarity will often make the locomotive run, even if the transmitter is not turned on. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

grumpy

The nine volts is only for the sound and on the newer ones lights also. The loco will run without the tender attached.
Don 8)

Loco Bill Canelos

try it with a new battery in the RC  transmitter in forward  at full throttle then check the leads some sets came wit a small lead which connected inside  the boiler and the other end to a 7.2 volt RC car battery pack.  I want to say that one end had a Tamiya connector to connect to the battery pack and the other which pluged into the boiler socket,   My memories are weak on this but the info should be close.  Check the box for the instructions, and the lead.  There was a small info sheet in with the battery pack connector which gave all the info on which battery to use.

Sorry I can't be more specific but my memory isn't what it used to be.  Maybe someone out there has an aoriinal set with instructions who will read this and provide better info.

Good luck and have fun with your train!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

altterrain

Bill's right. The loco came with a connector for 4 prong to tamiya. It was meant to hook up to a 7.2 volt subC stick pack instead of using D cells. I think I have both a backhead and connector in my parts bin. Contact me privately if interested.

-Brian
President of

shonan

Thank you all for your comments. Yesterday I took the bottom off the train to see what wires went where and it looks like an alternative power input as Bill and Brian mentioned. I got the train working using a toy car battery pack (9V) using some temp jumpers. I will try to make up something that will allow me to use the plug in and use the rechargeable 9V pack.

Also, we are looking for track as it only came with about 5 straight pieces. I tried out local hobby shops and garden train stores/shops but they said they only carry the metal outdoor track which is about $5 a foot. Does anyone know of any stores/shops that still carry/sell the plastic and simple metal rails for R/C trains?

Thanks again.

Darrell