News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout pics

Started by Margaritaman, April 13, 2008, 08:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margaritaman

After 15 years I'm getting back into the  hobby on a bit smaller scale.  Last layout was 16' x 20' so I'm finding this 6' x 9' layout much less daunting.  It's built inside a playhouse I built for my daughter about 6 years ago.  She agreed to let me take it over, but to be honest she's in there more than I am and she's a wiz at the Digitrax (she's 7!).  This is my freelance design on paper and then refined with the help of Riley Triggs in 3rd Planit.  Having a CAD program of the layout was the best thing I EVER did in layout planning.  Trees and structures are just temporary (I have over 1000 trees and numerous structures).So without any further introduction:

Move 6 years forward...

All inside a 6' x' 9' with enouth room for two.

Yampa Bob

Absolutely gorgeous!  Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

You're not off the hook here yet, you have to give all the details, and don't be modest.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Chessie Sys. 3022

One word: wow.  ;)

~Justin

Margaritaman

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 14, 2008, 02:38:42 AMYou're not off the hook here yet, you have to give all the details, and don't be modest.

thanks.  Not too sure what details you're looking for or are curious about.  But here are a few; basic 2x4 and plywood benchwork so I can climb all over it, Digitrax Super Empire Builder with additional controller.  FWIW I love the DCC now, but at first it had me going to the beer in quantity.  Track is all Walther's 83.  My next step is wiring 15 tortoise switch machines off of 3 Digitrax DS64s which ought to kick my rear.  It's a 1940s themed shortline named San Dimas Southern, "Your Citrus Source" complete with custom lettered equipment.  Was going to use ballast but it looks too new and goofy so I'm going to use dirt from the local mountains.  Needless to say I love trees and think they add a ton to any layout.  I literally have over a 1000 and I'll try to use at least 500 here.  Long term visions are DCC signaling and nighttime lighting.  As mentioned prior this layout is so much less daunting I have to slow my self down.  Minus the layout planning all work here has only been a couple months of evenings.  I'll post more as I proceed.  Been lurking for a while and just now figured it was time to show everyone.  And the loco power is Bachmann 2-8-0 with DCC/Sound which I love.  Oh Bachmann has come a long way...

Thanks again for the kind words.  MM

adari

You should put it in model railroader! I really like it. It would be great for people without as much space! I would like the track plan.
Adari

Margaritaman

I have a .jpg of the plan on my laptop at the office.  No photobucket at work, so I'll send home and post up tomorrow.

Yampa Bob

I wanted to ask how you reached the far side, good you built it sturdy.

I'm a Bachmann "snob", all my locos are Bachmann DCC, I love them.

Good description, keep the updates coming, especially pictures.   

Bob

Bill Baker

MM,

Great looking layout!  I built a 16 X 24 shed in my back yard which I really enjoy.  I'm not sure where you live, but by the second picture you posted you live up in the mountains somewhere.  I live down south which required me to put a small room airconditioner in my shed.  I was wondering if you need one and where would you place it?  I cut an opening in one of my walls to insert my A/C.  Also, do you plan any interior lighting?  I used trak lighting which I really enjoy.  Thanks for the pictures and keep everyone updated.

Bill
Bill

Margaritaman

Thanks gang.

I live in San Dimas, CA (Southern California).  Foothills.  No real weather extremes, but I did have to break out the heater when it got real cold and the temp bottomed at 52!!!  ;D
I will add a small window a/c unit by popping out the North (mountain) facing window sometime this spring.
I plan on two rows of track lighting, one with standard bulbs, and one with low wattage blue bulbs for night.  I operated my old layout in "night mode" almost all the time as it added a level of mystery for visitors.

thanks again, MM

Redtail67

Margaritaman:

Niffy name, once not so long ago, I felt that Magaritas were the "Nector of the Gods."

Your layout is looks really great and one that a new guy, like me, dreams of. The structures and landscape you can be very proud of. I'll bet you and your daughter have good alot of fun times with it.

Thanks for the pictures and looking forward to your layout plan.

Redtail67

Yampa Bob

MM

I figured you lived in a warm climate. I live in northern Colorado, at 7,000 feet altitude.  Up here 52 degrees is a heat wave.  If you would like some snow I can spare about 6 feet of it.  :D

Do you have any plans for a garden railway?  Looks like an ideal setting for one.

Bob

Chessie Sys. 3022

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 15, 2008, 02:13:49 PM
MM

I figured you lived in a warm climate. I live in northern Colorado, at 7,000 feet altitude.  Up here 52 degrees is a heat wave.  If you would like some snow I can spare about 6 feet of it.  :D

Do you have any plans for a garden railway?  Looks like an ideal setting for one.

Bob

Huh, I went to Ouray, Colorado this summer when my sister went to visit her birth family and we all went on the mountain tours (I hated it; I can't stand heights) and it was like 80 degress on California Pass at 12,930 feet up! It also didn't help that the jeep we rode in had no a/c...

Now for my questions about the playhouse thing.

1) Did you put in a seperate power supply for the playhouse?
2) Up here in New England, it gets pretty dang cold in the winter (think 0°-20°! :() To keep the heat in, would one add insulation and get a small heater?
3) Is there any way to prevent bugs and bees from living in it besides spray?

Thanks in advance.

~Justin

Margaritaman

1) 20 amp breaker.  Whole playhouse is wired the same as a house off the main panel. 
2) Has insulation.
3) Bugs?  None to really speak of although I did have one of those gigantic black bumble bees come in on Sunday.  It was a battle, but in the end I won.

The hard part is getting out of there quickly.  I'm 5'11" 190lbs and the ceiling is 5'6", not to mention the door is only 24" wide.  Very comfortable while on a small stool, but standing up and getting out is interesting.  But...it is a layout room so no complaints here!

Chessie Sys. 3022

Wouldn't be bad for me; I'm only 5' 4". I asked my parents about building one (I'd probably build it 'cause I'm the skilled one in the family), but my mom said that I could if I had $5,000, which I don't!  >:(

~Justin

Margaritaman

Original drawing

In 3rd PlanIt with adjustments