News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modular DCC Connectors

Started by Yampa Bob, April 14, 2008, 02:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Many modelers are now installing their own decoders. I'm preparing to tackle my first one, adding DCC to a Bachmann 2-6-0 Mogul.

Installing the decoder is pretty simple, the problem is finding small connectors to use between the loco and tender.  Tonight I unplugged the telephone line from my computer to clean the desk.  As I looked at the small RJ plug, the perverbial light bulb came on.   :o

I found these parts at AllElectronics.com and made a composite picture.

1.  CMP-6.....Modular 6 connector (6P6C) plug.    30 cents each
2.  MT-66......Modular 6 connector jack with solder lugs on top.   75 cents each
3.  MT-64......Modular 6 connector jack with solder lugs on back. 75 cents each
4.  6CF.........6 Conductor stranded wire, 28 AWG with 6 colors.   $6.00 for 50 feet.
5.  MPC PT-6...Crimping tool.    $14.00

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/745/Telephone_Accessories.html

All connectors are gold plated.  The 28 AWG wire has a free air ampacity of 1.4 amps. The jacket can be stripped off close to the plug after crimping to allow wires to flex.  I installed all the phone lines, plugs and jacks when we built our house, the crimper is easy to use.

If this works, it would also solve the problem of fighting the small factory plugs. 

Comments?

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Yampa Bob

All Electronics also has stranded wire in 100 foot rolls, and Telecom crimp splicers.  The splicers are tiny, just stick the wires in and push blades down with pliers or crimper.

PART #
UYC......Telecom 2 wire butt splicers, silicon filled
URC......Telecom 3 wire butt splicers, silicon filled
BSL-2....Inline splicers
26RD-100...Red 26 ga stranded ,also black, white, green, yellow, blue.
24RD-100...Red 24 ga stranded, also same colors as above.
6C24-100...6 conductor 24 ga round station wire.
Also 18, 20 and 22 ga wire.

ACTX-1612....Wall wart to power turnouts, 16VAC 1.2 amp. 2.1mm plug...$5.75

Bob

Jim Banner

Bob, I have used these with limited success in large scale where their size is reasonable but their current rating is not.

In H0, they are awfully big.  I find a better choice is to buy a break-off strip of IC contacts such as Digi-Key A208-ND.  These can be used as in-line plugs and as either in-line or through hole sockets in pin arrangements of your choice. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richG

Here are some better suggestions, at least for HO. The wire most use for HO DCC is #28 or #30 stranded wire which is a little more flexible than solid wire.
Quite often a lot of ingenuity is required for converting older locomotives.
Electronic supply house sell a wide variety of tiny connectors but the crimp tool is quite expensive. We are dealing with very small pins and wire.

http://www.schutzer.net/Brass_Clinics/InstallingDecoders2007.pdf
http://litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php?cat=174
http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=4
http://www.tonystrains.com/products/dccaccess_conn.htm

Rich

Yampa Bob

RichG:
I have been asking about these small connectors for several weeks on the forum with no answers.  :D

I like the NEM 651, it says "socket" but that doesn't necessarily identify it as male or female.  Anyway that would work for the loco, and is nice to have the 11 inch leads attached.  But what about the mating piece to install in the tender?

This is the problem I'm having, found several plug assemblies that will work but no matching piece.   Don't the manufacturers realize it takes both a male and female to work?  It's very frustrating.

I have some 6 connector RJ plugs, they are only slightly wider than the two plugs used by Bachmann, just a little taller.  If the socket was recessed in the tender, then the plug wouldn't be noticed. 

Ok, to be more specific, what exactly do you use to make these connections.  Like I said, I have asked many and it seems to be a trade secret or something.

If anyone can direct me to something like Litchfield has, but as a set with male and female, I will order and use them.  But until then I have to go with what I can find. I don't want 2 plugs dangling between the loco and tender, I want a plate/plug similar to the Bachmann tender socket with a matching prewired plug for the loco.

The "socket" on the Bachmann tender is a male connector, the "plugs" from the loco are female.  Gender is determined by the pins, not by the shape of the connector. But I don't care as long as they match.

Please remember I am stuck up here in the mountains and can't get to all the electronic stores 300 miles away to look for this stuff, I have to rely on  the net for all my needs. I love the solitude but finding things can be a nightmare.

I don't care what the crimp tool costs if I can find the right components.

Bob

Jim Banner

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 14, 2008, 09:12:37 PM
If anyone can direct me to something like Litchfield has, but as a set with male and female, I will order and use them.
Bob

Rich's Litchfield Station link and my Digi-Key link both lead to 0.1" pitch hermaphroditic connectors.  Before running out and buying them, wait a day or to and I will give you a link on how to use them.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richG

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 14, 2008, 09:12:37 PM
RichG:
I have been asking about these small connectors for several weeks on the forum with no answers.  :D

I like the NEM 651, it says "socket" but that doesn't necessarily identify it as male or female.  Anyway that would work for the loco, and is nice to have the 11 inch leads attached.  But what about the mating piece to install in the tender?

This is the problem I'm having, found several plug assemblies that will work but no matching piece.   Don't the manufacturers realize it takes both a male and female to work?  It's very frustrating.

I have some 6 connector RJ plugs, they are only slightly wider than the two plugs used by Bachmann, just a little taller.  If the socket was recessed in the tender, then the plug wouldn't be noticed. 

Ok, to be more specific, what exactly do you use to make these connections.  Like I said, I have asked many and it seems to be a trade secret or something.

If anyone can direct me to something like Litchfield has, but as a set with male and female, I will order and use them.  But until then I have to go with what I can find. I don't want 2 plugs dangling between the loco and tender, I want a plate/plug similar to the Bachmann tender socket with a matching prewired plug for the loco.

The "socket" on the Bachmann tender is a male connector, the "plugs" from the loco are female.  Gender is determined by the pins, not by the shape of the connector. But I don't care as long as they match.

Please remember I am stuck up here in the mountains and can't get to all the electronic stores 300 miles away to look for this stuff, I have to rely on  the net for all my needs. I love the solitude but finding things can be a nightmare.

I don't care what the crimp tool costs if I can find the right components.

Bob

Hi Bob

How about this? The NMRA socket can plug into another NMRA socket. I just did it. I am enclosing a photo. Picture the NMRA socket on the right mounted in the frame of the tender. The decoder wires are soldered to the "pins" on the NMRA socket. The wires rom the loco on the left soldered to another NMRA socket. It becomes the "plug" from the loco. You can remove two terminals with a careful cut.

I made a decoder tester using the same process.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Rich
Yes, I knew the NMRA socket was unisex, and work as you pictured . But that setup is actually larger than what I proposed above with the RJ assembly.  Mind, I am not trying to say my idea is the best by any means.  Due to my lousy eyesight I am trying to get away from a lot of soldering. 

I just assembled a 6 conductor wire into an RJ 6 and crimped it, so simple. I hate to be a stuck record, but I really like the Litchfield plug, if only they made a plate receiver for the tender.  Perhaps I'm not describing what I want correctly so I'll try another approach.  I want it just like the Bachmann setup but with ONE 6 connector plug.  Does that make sense?  LOL

I do appreciate all the ideas and I'm open to options.  I am just baffled that with all the decoders being installed, someone hasn't come up with a "perfect set" of plugs. If Bachmann would sell the plugs/sockets I'd be all set, but they won't.

Bob

richG

Hi Bob

I went on about the NMRA plug because you mentioned the NEM651 connector.
I looked at the part used for the receptacle but I am not sure how much room you with have at the floor of the tender. It looks like the MT64 or the MT66. It looks like you could put a hole in the tender floor and epoxy the receptacle over the hole.
After you crimp the male connector to the cable, strip off the grey cover from the cable.
It should be easier to manipulate the wires. I know the grey covering is a little stiff. . After everything is working, paint the wires black to have them appear as "hoses"
Here is an example of what I did with Roundhouse 4-4-0, 2-6-0 and 2-8-0.
My connection is at the PC board in the tender. The decoder then connects to the PC board.

Don't let my procedure confuse you. There was a reason I did mine like this.

Rich

hminky

I have used Dallee 3 pin connectors.

my tsunami in  mogul article at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mogul_tsunami/

Harold

richG

Hi Harold

Thanks, I was not aware of those connectors. I will have to pay more attention to your ON30 articles. I usually only look at the HO articles.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Rich
After about an hour of research I found the answer. 

The NEM 651 pictured at Litchfield comes in both male and female versions

Sorry, I don't mean to sound agitated, but this whole business of everyone being sold out, backordered etc is a crock. Everyone seems to need these small plugs but can't find them. 

Many thanks for your trouble of getting the pictures posted, they help a lot.

Bob

richG

Hi Bob

A lot of people get upset over the connector issue. You are not alone. I missed those connectors from Litchfield. They were not easy to find until I searched the site for NEM 651. I order from Bruce quite a lot.
Put all these links in your Favorites folder. Some day you might be able to spead the help.
Most manufactures are run by bean counters. Just buy what they sell. A few like Bruce really try. They just have a lot of irons in the fire. DCC is still evolving and will continue to evolve as the components shrink and the software to run the devices improves.

Cheers

Rich

Yampa Bob

Yep, I have hundreds of links in my favorites, I spent all day re-organizing them into categories. I hope to save others the frustration I'm going through right now. 

If these sources can't keep stuff in stock they might as well close up shop.  I get so irritated, go in a store and ask for 34/34 jeans.  "Oh, we are sold out of those , they are the most popular size".  Then I notice they have 500 pair in size 56 waist.  When I find something I need, have to buy a dozen of them to stock up.  When they say they don't have it but can have it next week I usually say  "If I wanted it next week, I would have ordered it next week". or "At my age I might not be here next week, I want it right now".  :D 

Anyway, I guess my idea went over like a fart in church, but if I can't get the NEM, then the RJs will have to do. 

Bob

richG

Hi Bob

I just called Bruce at Litchfield. He has the NEM 651 connectors in stock. He keeps his site up to date. Give him a call.

Rich