News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC 2-6-0 in the future?

Started by jcater, April 14, 2008, 08:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcater

Any chance that there will be a DCC installed or DCC ready 2-6-0 in future?  I have several (and one that someone already converted to DCC) and they just beg for DCC control and sound.  I don't want to do the conversion myself...I will hose it up.  While I am at it...what about DCC in the Porters too?  Sure would save a lot of heartache on this end of things!
John

the Bach-man

Dear John,
I certainly agree, and will continue to lobby for this.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

max (uk)

I am in for that too. Its the only reason my 2-6-0 and 0-4-2 porter dont run on my layout.

I am planning to add a decoder to my current 2-6-0, although I would like sound, I wouldnt dare do it myself.

And I dont even want to think about opening up my porter let along putting a decoder in it!

I also think that making sound ready 2-6-0's might bring the train set market back. I mean it worked for LGB (doesnt want to say about what happend to them, mainly as I still dont know why). I mean a few sound loco's, an EZ controller, and that would have been a perfect train set up.

Another good thing about a sound 2-6-0 is that it wouldnt cost a bomb eather. Infact it would cost quite alot less than the sound Forneys do.

jcater

Glad to hear that there is a lobby for this going on.  Here is my problem more specifically:  Bachmann's wonderful On30 has allowed me to model my favorite historic railroad, The Colorado and Southern.  I am NOT a rivet counter BUT that railroad used 2-6-0s almost exclusively.  So, I have several of these.  Then I was given a BLI C-16 which has DCC and sound...and the DCC and sound bug bit me!  At Christmas my wife gave me a new American 4-4-0 which I love (not prototypical but it will head up a branch line) which is DCC and ready for sound.

So, I either figure out a way to install DCC myself (YIKES!!!), hire someone to do it for me, switch my railroad to one that did not use 2-6-0s or HOPE that Bachmann will start selling a model that has DCC and sound or that is sound ready...
John

max (uk)

One thing you could do for the time being is run your layout on DC. As the C-16 (I have one too) and the sound Forney both work on DC (no idea about the sound shay's and climax's) despite not having all the functions.

I would be ok with fitting a 2-6-0 with a decoder myself. However fitting one with sound would mean conectors to the tender and then im already way out of my league.

jcater

I have found a decoder that will do both control and sound.  I have no fear of fitting the speaker in the tender and running the wire to the decoder as long as it is plug and play.  For me it is the fear of hard-wiring the decoder to the motor since I am terrible at soldering and really unsure of what needs to be soldered where and just how to isolate the motor.  I would hate to destroy the motor whilst trying to fit a decoder...

max (uk)

Tell me about it. So you have solderd the decoder. Put the chassis on the track, trun the power on. Little puff of smoke come's from the decoder. Ah must have solderd the wires the wrong way round. :-[ Onto the next decoder.

0n30nutz

I gotta tell you guys that YOU ALL CAN put decoders, and even sound in the Mogul. There are sites that will walk you through it. One in particular, www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com by Harold Minkowitz is one of trhe best for upgrading BMann locos. He goes in depth on the Mogul
  The Porter is a little more challenging, but very doable. There are great articles in the 2006 On30 Annual from Carstens.
  Within a month of going 0n30nutz, all of my locos were DCC equiped, and I hadn't picked up a soldering iron in about 20 years.
  Do some online research,, and GO FOR IT...you will be suprised...

H
If it ain't steam, it ain't
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

max (uk)

Thanks. I have read through Harolds article on putting a chip in the 2-6-0 and I will have it up if/when im doing it. I suppose I just dont think im up to it as I have never done it before.

jmhewitt

my 2-6-0 has a motor decoder in the loco and a sound decoder and speaker in the tender.....there are no wires between them, but I may add a 2 prong miniatronics plug to share power between the units.

Michael Hewitt
Hampstead, NC.

max (uk)

Sounds interesting. Please tell us more. Some pictures would be good if you have any.

Tracker47

I vote for a DCC ready 2-6-0 too.  But in the mean time it's up to us.  Like you guys the idea of taking a loco apart and adding DCC and sound was kind of scarry.

But with the tutorials on the Pacific Coast liner site I took a chance.  I thought I would start simple.  I bought one of the Bachmann DCC ready 2-8-0's, a Tsunami sound card and a speaker. 

Along with an $8 soldering iron and an afternoons work I have a DCC 2-8-0 with great sound!

So excited with that job I just bought a 2-6-0 and as soon as I get the rest of the electronics I'm going to try to put DCC Sound in it.

jcater

Thanks for the encouragement.  I have seen the website but don't remember the 2-6-0 DCC install part...I will sure look at it though!  I am getting ready to buy a new soldering iron for the task and am looking hard at the MRC DCC decoder with sound since I have an MRC Prodigy (so far only run around the x-mas tree with the BLI!!!).  I will let you know how this goes...cross your fingers!

max (uk)

All the best. Hope it goes well. :)

0n30nutz

As I touch base here every few days, I'm glad to see that you guys are getting into decoder and sound installs. As I mentioned in my post above, I hadn't picked up a soldering iron in 20 or so years, but thought what the heck, worst thing is I fry one decoder. Haven't yet, knock on wood.
  One thing I did was to invest in a new iron, a Weller station with adjustable temp. Paid about $45.00...best investment I've made in tools in a long time. Give it some thought.
  As far as sound, I've done a Mogul and a Connie and used SoundTraxx decoders and am well pleased. My Shay will get a SoundTraxx Micro Tsumami.. Just remember, decoders from any manufacturer will work with any DCC System, so check web sites for sound samples, and suppliers for prices.
  Most importantly, ENJOY!

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't!

If it ain't steam, it ain't...