News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC 2-6-0 in the future?

Started by jcater, April 14, 2008, 08:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcater

Howard, I am looking at an "all in one" package by MRC.  I figure why do DCC control and then have to wire up a sound decoder too when they make an allin one?  What is your take on these?

0n30nutz

I understand your dilema. Has been a source for thought for me, too.  I've been going the separate sound decoder route so that I can swap/install in another loco should I want...sound decoders do tend to get expensive...
  I'm not a believer in putting sound into everything, but do like to have a couple fitted.
  I've had no experience with MRC decoders, but lately I've been "hearing" in groups that they are getting better all the time.
  I  usually use either Digitrax or Train Contol Systems decoders for motor/light control and Soundtraxx for sound. I've been using the basic B/Mann decoders to power lighting in my passenger cars.
  As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready for a micro tsunami for my "better half's" Shay. a Xmas present from me last Xmas...She is now an On30  convert...

Regards, and enjoy,

H.
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

jcater

Another question I have is on the Pacific Coast Airliner website he says to get a small N or Z scale decoder...is that right?  Surely at least HO would be best?

railtwister

In reply to jcater's question about using an "N" or "Z" decoder in the On30 2-6-0 loco, rather than an HO unit, the issue here is physical size of the decoder. If you are to mount the decoder in the tender, then size isn't as critical, but since the 2-6-0 loco is self-contained and doesn't use the tender for pickup or for mounting a "lightboard", mounting the decoder there means you would also have to add multiple wire connections between the loco and tender. If you mount the decoder in the locomotive, all the wiring can be done onboard the loco, with no need for wires running to the tender, unless you install a backup light. That being said, the DCC installation WOULD benefit from adding tender pickups, which would supplement the marginal pickup available from just the drivers. This would require adding 2 wires to carry the additional pickup to the loco, but 2 wires is better than 6 or 7!

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park, FL
Florida On30 Renegades

0n30nutz

All,

N or Z decoders will work, provided they can handle the amps drawn by our BMann locos. Most can these days.
   My Porter is carrying a DZ123 from Digitrax tucked up next to the boiler in the cab interior. My Mogul carries a TCS M-1 that is tucked into the notch in the front of the boiler weight. TCS lists this for use in N or HO, it is small. The mogul also sports a Sountraxx DSD-101LC carried in the tender. I'm using pickups, no longer available,  from Geren M, the On30 Guy, and Miniatronics 2 pin connectors between the tender and loco. This was all done following Harold Minkowitz's excellent "What I did" web article. Harold shows how to make tender pickups, by the way.
  I'm currently waiting on a Connie tender shell from a fellow modeler, and it's off to the erecting shops to be mated with a BWay Limited Connie. But that's another story...

Regards,

Howard

If it ain't steam, it ain't

jcater

Right on!  I do intend to mount a decoder in the engine, leaving room in the tender for sound.  WOW...Herald you REALLY did a Porter DCC project?  I am in total awe....

Please Mr. Bach-Man, PLEASE make these two engine types DCC or at least DCC ready...please?????

0n30nutz

Yeah, I did a Porter. I did spend a lot of time online trying to get info on how to do it. Most guys said it was way too much unless you were really experienced and knowledgable, so I stayed away from doing it. :(
  But, I really wanted a DCC Porter. Well, it came to me in the 2006 On30 Annual in the form of two articles, one by Larry Puckett, the other by John Everett. With the articles in hand, and a DZ123 decoder, I jumped in on a Sunday afternoon.
  Just following along, and taking my time, I was running my DCC Porter by dinner time. And what a joy it is, chugging along at barely a crawl, smooth as silk ;D
  So, I guess a couple things come to mind...Research everything, and do not give up! Make it a point to get all the On30 Annuals (it is now published by Carstens). Ask questions of other modelers. But, probably most importantly, don't be afraid to give something a try. Yeah, you may screw itup (I know, I certainly have done my share of damage :-\), but you do learn, and the next time it works! ;D ;D

Howard

jcater

I think if I can get past the fear of this I will be able to take on any engine.  I will start with the mogul.  Is TCS the brand name?  I will check it out along with the sound decoder.

0n30nutz

Yes, TCS is Train Control Systems, a Pennsylvania based company. Their decoders are available from Tony's Trains, Litchfield Station (my favorite DCC supplier), and most online DCC sellers. A bonus with TCS is that they have a "Goof Proof" warranty...Check out their website, www.tcsdcc.com.
They also have a short photo set on putting a decoder in the Mogul. Harold Minky's is much more informative, but you will get a feel for it anyway.

Howard

jcater

Thank you sir, now all I need to do is convince the wife to let me spend money  ::)

0n30nutz

Yeah,

I understand that, too...
   I have noticed somewhat less resistance since I got my other half her very own Shay for Christmas.
   Since I've gotten involved in On30, and liquidated much of my O gauge, it's been a little easier too.

Regards,

Howard

jcater

Well, this is it...I just ordered my very first TCS M1 decoder!  Hope I can do this without fryin it   ::)

0n30nutz

You absolutely can do it. Open up Harold Minky's website and work on the installation following along. You should not have any problems ;D
  And with TCS remember, should you smoke :o the deocoder, they will replace/repair it.
  Let us know how you do!

Regards,
Howard

If it ain't steam, it ain't....

jcater

HOLY COW IS THAT SMALL!!

Got the TCS M1 today...that thing is ALOT smaller than I thought it would be...very delicate too!  Ordering a new soldering station now, Weller variable power 4 - 60 watt station.  Then I will be ready, I think (I need to get the other stuff from the Pacificcoastairliner site list as well...

peterherron

All,
I bought a 2-6-0 on EBay that had a Digitrax 123 motor decoder put in the locomotive for DCC.  Runs great.  Decided to install a Soundtraxx DSX in tender.  At the same time I got a Tsunami for my 2-8-0 which is DCC.  Had to move the board but was able to cram a 1.57" (40 mm) high bass speaker from QSI in there.  I swear the thing sounds real!!!  When I'm working on stuff, I turn it on just to listen to the air pumps pounding and Fireman Fred doing his things!

Back to the 2-6-0.  Managed to squeeze the same speaker in and got it up and running. Making the tender electrical pickup on all 4 tender wheels was a pain, but will be worth it as none of the loco wheels provide current to the tender.  Not finished with sealing the tender shell for the enclosure so will have to comment on sound quality later.  Addressed each decoder differently and run it as an "old" consist.  You have to have the tender as the lead unit or you get no chuff as it is controlled by the throttle.  Next problem is syncing the chuff to the speed of the motor decoder.  Not as easy as it seems.  Need to make up a speed table for the chuff rate that matches the the motor decoder's.  Switching back and forth from one decoder to the other then testing, is getting tedious.  If I did it again, which I will as I have 2 more moguls, I will go 1 Tsunami in tender-thank you very much!!! In the time I've spent monkeying with sync issues, I could have done the full install of the Tsunami.

Peter